Maya How To Datasmith

Why doesn’t Maya have a datasmith export plug-in?
Can UE4 create a datasmith export plug-in for Maya?

2 Likes

Not aware of the full history.
We have limited resources to work on exporters and datasmith in general. So we had to make choices over time on which software to prioritize based on community usage and needs as well as existing alternatives between the software and UE.

We are reviewing existing pipeline between Maya and UE. USD is a reliable route at the moment.
Evaluation is still ongoing but the added value for a dedicated udatasmith exporter does not look that important.

It would be super useful for me. I UE5 is amazing and works on OS. Unfortunately, 3D Studio Max does not and Maya feels more intuitive for modeling. I think it would be very useful until UE has more modeling ability, especially for Mac-based people :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I second this comment. In the archviz adjacent industry I work in, using a Maya enabled datasmith plugin would be incredibly helpful.

Please, we do need a Maya enabled datasmith plugin. My architecutral firm’s workflow would be greatly enhanced by it.

1 Like

Yes

using a Maya enabled datasmith plugin would be incredibly helpful.Hopefully, the official add-on for maya will be added later

Here you go…You’re Welcome.

It’s essentially a gltf exporter for Maya (and 3ds Max). Once you have exported your Maya asset as a gltf file, you can then enable the Datasmith gltf Import plugin in Unreal and import the file as a datasmith asset, thus preserving hierarchies and pivot points
The materials should be good but it’s been a bit since I used this.

Thanks @seanspitzer for proposing the glTF route.

But yes we are deprecating in 5.2 and removing Datasmith glTF import in 5.3.
Unreal should be more than capable to import the glTF format directly now, following some major improvements. Do a File>Import into Level if you want the hierarchy. And for pivot points please try I am not sure how they are brought in, just let us know if anything is incorrect.