Maya ART Tools Custom dynamic chain gravity problem

Hello everyone,

I’m trying to get a custom dynamic chain to work with gravity but i don’t know why it doesn’t work, i followed the wiki but no luck.

The chain, in my case, is a simple ponytail that is moving but with zero gravity. Using maya 2014 obviously.

Any ideas why?

I had a similar problem, it seems that gravity only goes negative Y…meaning in order for it to work, you have to go into properties and change the up axis back to Y-Up, then rotate the entire rig -90 degrees in the X axis…then the best thing to do would be to bake your simulated hair and then rotate it back to Z-up…it’s a pain in the butt, one reason I’m trying to figure out in engine physics for the hair. Hope this helps

Replying for posterity, since I had the same problem.

This is a video that Jeremy Ernst made going through the settings for jigglebones, but it should apply to the dynamic chain setup as well:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/10939513/JiggleBone_media/JiggleBone.wmv

If I had to take a guess as to Bio90’s specific problem, it would be that:

1. the gravity field magnitude is set to 9.1, where Ernst sets it to 98 (multiplying it by 10 because of how large the character’s scale is)

2. the Chain Stiffness and Chain Damping settings are both set to something around 0.1
    Ernst sets them both to 0.01, because apparently 0.1 is too high.