maya animation frame rate is set to 24 fps should i change it to 30fps before i start animating?

maya animation frame rate is set to 24 fps should i change it to 30fps before i start animating?

As an animator I have asked this question myself and have yet not found a straight answer, perhaps animators at Epic could give us their opinion on this and their preferred method.

As for me coming from features I have stuck with using 24fps, the only time i had to change to 30 fps at one time was when I was animating a special morph blend target for a fake FX asset (non character), I found 30fps was smoother for that specific subject, I’m not sure if this matters at all, but then again I put my voice here and hope some of the epic devs can give us their point of view, I would love to know what they use for paragon and if it makes any difference while animating at 30 vs 24fps for unreal especially for characters.

Thanks.

I’m not sure you’ll find an official answer. I’ve always understood 30fps to be the standard for games (anims typically gets sampled at 30fps during import but there’s an option to turn this off in UE4) however there are some variables at play. Is it a fighting game, will it support slow-mo features, etc

Practically speaking, so long as you aren’t sampling at the default rate I think you won’t experience any problems (animation length should stay the same as source content).