Maya and unrel engine 4 work flow?

hi all ,

i am an architect and i was working on an interior design project , i finished the project on revit but i wanted to visualize it on unreal 4.

my design has no textures or materials as of now it’s just a raw design , i heard u need to do uv maping an such so i exported as fbx and imported to maya

however , i am a bit confused as what is the correct work flow or steps that i need to undergo so when i import in unreal i get a responsive model that i can add material to any face i want with out the material being applied to the whole model as a whole.

p.s : i am using revit 2014 , maya 2014 and unreal 4.8 on windows , the model i am exporting is a static mesh of a small condo. with some furniture in it .

any help would be appreciated , thanks.

Take a look at this site (there you can choose 3ds or maya): https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Content/FBX/StaticMeshes/index.html :slight_smile:
UV mapping -> ?v=9EQmS9eouCY
collision ->
lightmap -> ://

thank you for your reply , i followed the links and i made a 2nd UV channel and imported a test mesh in

the mesh is imported without errors .

however , unreal treats the entire mesh as 1 object in maya the mesh is composed of 3 shapes , i was wondering if there was a way to control materials for each shape or each face ( tried geometry editor but didn’t work )

-the geometry editor is just here for bsp brushes :slight_smile:
-when you want to keep it as one object, you will have to create different material slots/id’s in maya -> or just uv map your mesh so that you just need one slot for it (draw calls!!!)

hello

this suold help it is so wourt it
://www.digitaltutors/tutorial/2157-Creating-an-Interior-Walkthrough-in-Unreal-Engine-and-3ds-

Exactly as said, you need separate materials IDs so that they are treated separately.

So basically go into maya, create 3 materials and then apply the materials to the separate sections. Make sure none of the separate pieces share the same material.
Once you’ve done this you’ll have 3 available slots on the prop to drop materials on to in UE4. Good luck :slight_smile: