Maximum Resolution to Render 1-High Res Still Image?

Have you tested the new Movie Render Queue, that allows you to tile your picture and therefore renders it in smaller pieces, instead of one big pic? This should help you increase your overall picture size.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/…ort/index.html

There look in the render settings for the additional option “High Resolution”, that gives you access to the tiling function.

Minute 1.20 ff.

Tested it myself, just how big i can render, have rendered a pic with 19200x10800 pixels, 12 tiles with overlap set to 0.1 (so each tile results in 1920x1080). Yeah, it rendered, it just took its time. And i just have a RTX 2070 with 8 GB RAM and 16 GB RAM for my comp. My machine usually kills itself at anything higher than 4k.

Hi Suthriel,

i cant seem to get the tiled rendering option to work for me, i always get an errorcode (tiling does not support all rendering features etc…). Can you share your options or maybe a preset for how you did the rendering? Would be much appriciated!

This warning message will always appear, as soon, as you use tiling (probably until they found a way to make those effects work with tiling), but it will still render. Autoexposure is one of those effects, so you have to make sure, that you have set your scene to manual exposure, or it will render a usually black image :slight_smile:
Another one is bloom and lightshafts, unfortunately :frowning: But maybe those missing/not working effects can be rendered out as a separate pass from a downgraded scene, that does not require tiling at the same resolution, and then just combine the image with that separate pass in Photoshop or maybe even in UE in a second scene.

TemporalAA does not work too (MSAA doesn´t even work with raytracing scenes in general), but for that you have those customizable anti aliasing settings, where you set up your custom antialiasing solution. In there, set the anti-aliasing method to “none” to turn off TAA . Then you set up your own AA samples for spatial and temporal. Usually a warning pops up, if your chosen number of samples is below, what TAA uses - 8 samples, but it will still render, no need to worry.
I had used 10 samples for spatial, and 1 for temporal.

Don´t quote me on this, but as far as i understand, the spatial samples are for the actual frame (to get smooth edges), while temporal samples is a collection of several frames, which will be laid over each other to get things like motion blur. Also, there is a nice formula in the tool tip of the temporal sample field, regarding how the samples from the tiles, spatial and temporal are multiplied for each frame, so that will give you a hint, about how each will increase the total AA samples per frame and therefore render times.

For the number of tiles, well, i just adjusted them in a way, that they had no higher resolution than i actually use and my GPU could handle. So thanks to the overlap, this resulted in 12 tiles at 0.1 overlap -> each tile from that megapicture was 1920x1080. Remember, that is 12 tiles per row, at 12 rows ^.^
If i use higher samples for reflection and GI, then i would increase the number of tiles even more to get a lower resolution for each tile to comensate the increased samples from that stuff.

A smaller testrender for you, the renderprocess ends at 3:24, so skip to that to see the result, aaand this scene does not work well with such high resolutions ^.^ The other one from my original test didn´t wanted to work today, always crashed during opening :frowning: :