Math expression cheat sheet (for newbies like me )

UPDATED VERSION FURTHER DOWN LIST!

I don’t know if anyone has already done this but I’ve just thrown this together for myself and thought I’d share it on the off chance someone else can use it too.

I often have difficulty remembering how exactly math expressions combine maps in the material editor so thought I’d make myself a cheat sheet of sorts.

3 Likes

Thanks for this! I saved the image for later reference :slight_smile:

Why does the Divide node perform that combination?

Divide by zero, funny behavior. With a white/black input it won’t show well.
The sine output shown here isn’t that useful either.

There aren’t really many surprises with math nodes if you know what you’re giving them. The 1-x node literally subtracts the input from 1. Sin/cosine nodes have a ‘period’ that you may want to experiment with, as I think the default is meant for radians. Color is typically in a 0 to 1 range, not a 0 to 255 range, so multiplying usually gives you a darker result rather than a very large/bright one. Emissive values above 1 can be brighter than specular highlights, but most other material outputs will clamp to the 0 to 1 range (which is a shame).

Some other nodes to keep a reference of: Clamp, lerp (a favorite), componentmask, max/min, and if.

Thanks , Ill add those on soon as i have a minute, though I must confess, I’ve never used the “if” within a material before. I’m not even sure what scenario i would use it in???

its help indeed for the math noob like me, thanks

Not only is this useful for people, this is a brilliant idea! I would love to see more of these cheat sheets done with a heap of other material functions! Really nice idea. Well done.

Simplistic Scenerio for the “If” node. Would be say, you wish to replace colors within “bands”, simplest would be of course White/Black and turning that into say Orange/White output. Especialy when driven by TextureParameters, allowing the White/Black to be changed very easily with the Orange/White. Set the compare value to 0.05 (or threshold, however you wish to think of it), one could also create an infinite number of bands in this fashion, simply by cascading them.

But the IF node, is nice for dynamic work.

Thank you for the cheat sheet, very nice!

Thank you! This might come in handy :slight_smile:

Small update, I’ve edited them to fit on A4 for anyone who decides to print them off. enjoy.

1562099a9f8b780e5783527411facf2603681e5c.jpeg

1d09807c5a28b92605bcffbf39267b20aff3c4c9.jpeg

this graph is still helping newbs like me after 6 years… thank you, kind stranger. <3

1 Like