Material problems with blender assets

Hey there,

I just started to use UE5 a couple weeks ago. Currently I’m trying to import assets from my blender projects and apply Megascans materials. But dragging the materials on the objects seems to cause a problem. Can’t find any errors in the material tab.

I am very thankful for any sugeestion.

Kind regards

1 Like

Hi palnorDE1,

You can set the materials on your mesh in either the MeshEditor (look in the details to the right) - that sets them as the default for the mesh, or you can select the mesh in your scene, then from the Details Panel you can select the meshes there.

1 Like

As you can see in the attached screenshot, the material is applied correctly. The plain cube surface takes the material in the right way, but the above structure does not.

Is that a problem with UV mapping?

2 Likes

Yeah, try importing the texture into blender and viewing it in textured mode - makes it easier to shape the UV’s too…

It looks like you extruded the top face, scaled it, extruded it again, and afterward didn´t UV Unwrap again. Blender only provides automated UVs for default meshes. So the cube is perfectly unwrapped, but any modifications to the cube, are not. That´s why your Texture is stretched because your UV for that area is literally 1px tall.

Perfectly Wrapped

Modifications are not automatically Wrapped

A quick fix in Blender for simple geometry like that: Smart Project the UVs

For more complex geo you really want to manually set your UVs but from my experience, in most cases where it is not thaaaaaat important to have perfect UVs, Smart Project is more than enough.

2 Likes

I wanted to start my workflow by modeling in Blender and later use Megascans textures in UE5. But I’ll try your suggestion - thank you very much!

2 Likes

Smart Project fixed the problem instantly - thank you very much. As soon as I encounter more complex geometry ill start building it directly in blender.

Again, thank you for tanking your time recreating my problem!

Grüße nach Österreich

1 Like

For anyone entering the thread for solutions:

Make sure to UV unwrap your object, whether in blender or unreal, If you UV unwrap in blender export it with its textures otherwise UV unwrap in unreal and then your material should work, If you need to scale it select “transform” in unreal or press “S” in blender

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.