Material Instances: Scalar/Vector Parameter Sub-Categories?

Hi all. Something that I feel is desperately needed in the material editor/instance editor is a manner to define and assign Scalar or vector parameters to Sub-Categories for making the creation of material Instances much easier.

So I prefer to make as few materials as possible and just create/edit my textures to work with the material accordingly. It’s worked out extremely well. But the is that whenever I create a new material instance I have to delve through anywhere from ~20-70 Scalar parameters to find particular ones. It doesn’t take all that long but it’s kind of like trying to find the needle in the haystack. Even if they’re alphabetized, when there are so many of anything all clumped together it just seems a little unnecessary. Even more so when you’re trying to explain how your material works to others who are just starting.

A good way to fix it in my mind would be to automatically group Scalar/Vector parameters in separate menu trees corresponding to whichever comment box they reside in in the material.

I’m sure that I’m not the only one who has found this daunting at times.

Thank you all very much for taking the time to read this,

Riley L.

Hi all. Something that I feel is desperately needed in the material editor/instance editor is a manner to define and assign Scalar or vector parameters to Sub-Categories for making the creation of material Instances much easier.
[/QUOTE]

Hey

Have you tried using the “Group” categories in your materials? Each parameter you create can be grouped into as many sections as you want, for example here I set this variable to be grouped by “Sky”:

Then in the Material Instance it shows up in the Sky category along with a couple others:

Is that the kind of thing you are looking for? Or do you mean MaterialParameterCollections?

Hope that helps! :slight_smile:

I actually just found out about parameter groups. But I can’t seem to figure how to define custom groups.

With a parameter node selected you should be able to just click on the group name and start typing, then once the group name is defined once it will show up in the combo box list.