Material Instances not working

So recently I ported the mega scans from the Medieval Game Environment level that quixel made and I’ve ran into an issue with the material instances. I decided to move the assets into another project I’ve been working on in unreal 5, and everything seemed to move over perfectly until I went to put in a static mesh into my project’s scene. As soon as I put a static mesh from Medieval Game Environment into my scene the static mesh turns grey, and when you open the material instance settings the static mesh should have on it has nothing filled out so it’s just a blank Material instance.

Did you copy over the material from which the instance originated? It’s only a variant of the original material and needs the original to be able to make it work.

Make sure you migrate from inside the project. Right-click asset → asset actions → Migrate…

Browse to the Content folder of the target project and the migration will push the items into the appropriate subfolders.

This will ensure all dependencies are carried along with it.

Thank you this fixed the issue for me. Previously I migrated the content as all of the 3d assets, and it must have caused an issue with the material instances. However, is there a way to do this to all the material instances I want in my level. I’m only asking because I don’t really want to have to port them one by one like that

You can select multiple items and migrate them vs just one at a time.

Goto the top-level of your content, use the item-filter to pick Material_Instances, select all, right-click, etc, etc. It should pick up all the dependencies for all the objects you have selected.

You can also do this on a folder. Right click and migrate is at the top level.

Sounds good I’ll give that a try. When I migrated a folder thats when I first ran into this issue to I’ll do it the other way.

Funny enough…as I was sanity-checking my advice to you, I TOO had the same issue with migrating a folder. I migrated and didn’t see all the things on the other side, but when I tried to migrate again, it said they were already there…

Took a cycle of the projects and another 2 attempts before the stuff showed up.

On 4.26, might be a bug?

I CAN confirm that in my experience, migrating items directly (vs folder) has never failed me… ¬_¬

Yes, I ended up testing it again too with other assets and this seems to be correct. Issues kept occurring when I migrated folders, but not when I directly migrated them. However, I’m not complaining because even though it took some time to manually migrate the 3D assets from the Medieval Game Environment it saved me countless hours of 3d modeling and creating my own resources from scratch.

1 Like