[Master] Crash on loading default material

Hi guys,

I’m on master branch and am experiencing a blocker with loading default materials. It crashes.

The log says:

[2015.10.31-03.56.07:659][ 0]LogLinker:Warning:
Asset ‘…/…/…/Engine/Content/EngineMaterials/Widget3DPassThrough.uasset’
has been saved with engine version newer than current and therefore can’t be loaded.
CurrEngineVersion: 4.11.0-2633501+UE4
AssetEngineVersion: 4.11.0-2713022+++depot+UE4
[2015.10.31-03.56.07:661][ 0]LogLinker:Warning:
Asset ‘…/…/…/Engine/Content/EngineMaterials/WorldGridMaterial.uasset’
has been saved with engine version newer than current and therefore can’t be loaded.
CurrEngineVersion: 4.11.0-2633501+UE4
AssetEngineVersion: 4.11.0-2713022+++depot+UE4
[2015.10.31-03.56.07:661][ 0]LogUObjectGlobals:Warning:
Failed to find object ‘Material /Engine/EngineMaterials/WorldGridMaterial.WorldGridMaterial’

[2015.10.31-03.56.10:850][ 0]LogWindows:Error: === Critical error: ===
Assertion failed: GDefaultMaterials[Domain] != NULL [File:C:\GitHub\UnrealEngine\master\Engine\Source\Runtime\Engine\Private\Materials\Material.cpp] [Line: 351]
Cannot load default material ‘engine-ini:/Script/Engine.Engine.DefaultMaterialName’

This is going on for a few weeks now. As a workaround I have to jump back to commit 2fe3e256043b66f0566bff3f1f62e7b446603eae …so the problem seems to have been introduced between then and now. :slight_smile:

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply! :slight_smile:

the command gives the very same error message :frowning:

65025-capture.png

You have to resave your assets to ensure they are saved with your current engine version. You should never use the master branch for active development. Use the release branch or the dedicated branches for each stable version.

To execute a resave you can just run the following commandlet:

start /wait Engine\Binaries\Win64\UE4Editor.exe <path/to/uprojectfile> -run=resavepackages

The commandlet has some arguments that you can use to control the min and max version numbers among others:

• -MINVER=
  • -MAXVER=
  • SKIPMAPS
  • MAPSONLY
  • PACKAGE=
  • PACKAGEFOLDER=

For all other switches just check the current engine source, there might be more to see ^^

Could your check where DefaultMaterialName points too? It should be in BaseEngine.ini in Engine/Config

It points to DefaultMaterialName=/Engine/EngineMaterials/WorldGridMaterial.WorldGridMaterial

I think I found a workaround…

remembering that most stuff is backwards compatible I took the EngineMaterials folder from the VXGI branch I still have lying around and used them to replace the supposed too new stuff - et voila :slight_smile:

though it still could not resave the others…

I think the problem is that the code compiled into 4.10 is newer than (at least some) of the code in the GitHub Master branch. This is because we are currently changing our internal branching structure at Epic, and GitHub Master has not been updated in a while (you may have noticed the lack of check-ins lately).

Last month, we started to use separate branches internally for all of our teams. Previously, almost everyone used to check into Master directly. We are still in the process of stabilizing the Master branch before we will take updates from the teams again. This change will likely not be complete until 4.11. That being said, we have been spot merging some fixes from other branches into 4.10, and that might explain the discrepancy.

Although it doesn’t seem to have been stated on the official channels, my personal recommendation would be to not rely on code in GitHub Master if you also intend to use 4.10 content right now.

i got the same error if i try to launch project, i found that in my case i can reproduce it :
if i switch to opengl3 or dx10 in settings-platforms-windows error appears,
if i switch to dx11 and restart project it works.

I’m experiencing this issue in 4.17.
The dedicated server crashes on startup when trying to load the default material.
i’ve tried packaging to a .pak file aswell as to a loose content files. also tried removing the WorldGridMaterial from my game, including the editor content and rerouting the DefaultMaterial path from the BaseEngine.ini file to something that is included in the packaged content for sure.

Nothing helped. I’m stuck here. Any help is appreciated.

I am experiencing this issue on 4.19.1

yes my dedicated server crashes on launching with this error, when i change level…