Massive memory leak in Blueprint Editor introduced with Unreal 4.9

I can confirm this issue as well. RAM usage start normal and slowly but surely go up. Once it reaches around 7GB it “dumps” the memory but doesn’t release it, eventually it will do this again, and again until it finally uses all available system RAM and crashes. I have seen it say I’m at 95% usage yet Unreal is only using around 2GB and no other program is using a significant amount of ram.

I am using 4.10.2 on Windows 10

Same issue here. It’s really hard to work restarting the engine every 5 minutes…

I’m experiencing this issue as of 4.10.2
One UE4 instance is using up to 20GB of memory, when this happens (every few hours) I need to do a full windows reboot :<

This isn’t cool…

but I understand adding more “features” sells better than fixing the engine…

I am having this same issue in 4.10.2… No migrated content… basic project… VERY competent workstation… I can’t work for more than 5 minutes without maxing out 24 gigs of RAM… Happens with minimal tabs open, but it happens regardless of the type of blueprint open… I have noticed that if I have a blueprint open and I zoom in and out or move things around and the memory climbs RAPIDLY… stop zooming and moving and the memory stops climbing but it doesn’t go down either… move some more and the memory climbs rapidly again

I’m a noob and all I’ve been working on are tutorials… no mucking about with anything vital that would cause this to be from my own mistakes… I’ve only been doing BASIC things… I don’t go messing with things I’m not confident messing with, so i’m pretty sure it’s not anything I did wrong

I recently installed 4.9 i believe. Updated to 4.10.2
I downloaded “InventoryUIwithUMG” tutorial content, and created a project from his creation. (Originally created for 4.6 i believe)
I created a new project, following his tutorial, with some minor changes.

When I open:
-his project: I have little to none memory leak.
-my project: memory usage rises fast.

There is a continuous trickle of memory vanishing in task manager on Windows 10 with Unreal Engine 4.10.2. I have turned off all my streaming levels, so the relatively empty persistent level is the only one visible in the editor. However when editing blueprints I see the memory issue. Once the memory consumption has risen to about 21gb, the editor starts to slow down until eventually I get a performance warning complaining that I’m running at around 2 fps. This makes the editor completely unusable as it no longer is able to recognize where I’m clicking or when I’m trying to drag a pin out from something. So all in all i get around 20 mins of editing before I have to shut-down Unreal restart.

I have just switched to editing one of my streamed levels by double clicking the map itself rather than having the parent level open, and my memory issues have vanished. So for me at least the memory consumption problem when editing blueprints seems to be streaming level related.

Doesn’t seem this will be fixed for 4.11

I’ve never experienced anything like this; even on my bigger scenes editor stays below 8gb consumption, weird issues you guys are having there…

Probably you could write some further info at https://answers.unrealengine.com/questions/299981/editor-have-memory-leak-in-two-of-my-project-all.html

I can confirm such consuming.
Version of the engine is 4.10.2. Blank blueprint project, playing with blueprint editor, very simple scene.
Consuming: 12Gb with significant performance issue.

I just wanted to chip in and say that the problem persists even with 4.10.4.
It is at the point where I am completely closing down UE4 after about 30-60mins, sometimes sooner to avoid the crash happening and work being lost or corrupted.

The more tabs opened, the quicker the warning occurs within windows, and the quicker the actual crash happens.

Here is my latest test of the problem:
Upon opening UE4 with no extra tabs open, ram usage is at 1.3gb
Upon opening UE4, and restoring 3 tabs + the main tab, it is using 1.8gb ram.
Upon opening my test level, 2.25gb ram.
Over the course of about 42mins, the ram usage slowly crept up to 8gb before the editor forcibly shuts down.

Oddly enough, while I wasn’t monitoring what was going on, I loaded the editor back up, and while it got up to about 5gb usage, I took a break, leaving the editor running in the background.
The RAM usage dropped down to ~3-4gb and fluctuated but didn’t keep going up like it normally would…that was of course until I finished my break and brought the editor window into focus again, and the RAM usage crept up like normal.

We’re still getting this as well. It really messes with our workflow when UE4 crashes every… 30 sec now. Has anyone tried with 4.11?

I’m also getting a large amount of memory leak in the blueprint editor. I’ve noticed that closing the viewport window will slow it down, since the editor won’t have to continually render without a viewport window visible (can someone here test this as well?). I’ve mentioned it in this bug report: Memory leak caused by viewport rendering? - Platform & Builds - Unreal Engine Forums. Regarding my bug report, the developers at Epic are thinking it’s a video driver issue. Could you guys post what type of hardware you are using, especially graphics cards and current driver versions? I’m using an Nvidia GTX970 with driver 362.00 on Windows 10.

Just tested on 4.11 preview 7, and it seems like my memory leak issue has been fixed. You guys might want to try out the latest 4.11 preview and see if it fixes your issue as well.

4.9 didn’t have this problem, 4.11 eats memory, the more you use it the more it takes and never frees. I usually worked around 2.5 gb, but 4.11.1 reaches 5 easily with the same project. And I believe it increases even more but I usually close it to have the system freed (since I’m having 8 gb system). Not sure what could cause that because I’ve never used 4.10 and I can’t confirm it had happen there. Another thing I observed is the built exe when ran outside unreal does something similar. Usually it would stay within 1gb usage but now it reaches 2gb sometimes.
Each time it passes over 5gb, closing the editor doesn’t close the process also, even if I’m waiting for a few minutes, most of the time I’m just killing the process from task manager. Sometimes if I let it long enough will stop the process as well but it’s not really normal.

Same here. Editor almost killed my system twice during a gamejam…

Hi there! I am bumping this issue.

I am also experiencing incresing memory consumption when opening a blueprint editor tab; the memory is not freed when closing the tab. It happens to me with 4.10.4, 4.11.2, and 4.12 preview 2.

It happens to the vanilla Inventory UI with UMG example project.

The memory won’t free. However to stop it from using so much. Make sure that you don’t have everything open when you open your blueprint. I noticed that it remembered every tab for each function in my blueprint. I got to the point where I hit my 30gb cap within 5 minutes just because I had 50 tabs underneath the blueprint itself open. Close them all and it should hopefully stall it.