MarketplaceRules.dll does not exist

Hi, I try to build the ARHandheld Template for an iOS device. If I build it on a Mac it works. If I build it on Windows with a remote connection to the Mac I get the Error:

LogPlayLevel: Error: ERROR: Precompiled rules assembly ‘/Users/phil/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/MarketplaceRules.dll’ does not exist.

This file do not exist on the Mac. And I have not found the MarketplaceRules.dll anywhere on Windows.

The Remote-Log prints:

> ERROR: Precompiled rules assembly '/Users/phil/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/MarketplaceRules.dll' does not exist.
> BuildException: Precompiled rules assembly '/Users/phil/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/MarketplaceRules.dll' does not exist.
>    at UnrealBuildTool.DynamicCompilation.CompileAndLoadAssembly(FileReference OutputAssemblyPath, HashSet`1 SourceFileNames, List`1 ReferencedAssembies, List`1 PreprocessorDefines, Boolean DoNotCompile, Boolean ForceCompile, Boolean TreatWarningsAsErrors)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.RulesAssembly..ctor(RulesScope Scope, List`1 BaseDirs, IReadOnlyList`1 Plugins, Dictionary`2 ModuleFileToContext, List`1 TargetFiles, FileReference AssemblyFileName, Boolean bContainsEngineModules, Nullable`1 DefaultBuildSettings, Boolean bReadOnly, Boolean bSkipCompile, Boolean bForceCompile, RulesAssembly Parent)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.RulesCompiler.CreateMarketplaceRulesAssembly(IReadOnlyList`1 Plugins, Boolean bSkipCompile, Boolean bForceCompile, RulesAssembly Parent)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.RulesCompiler.CreateEngineRulesAssembly(Boolean bUsePrecompiled, Boolean bSkipCompile, Boolean bForceCompile)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.RulesCompiler.CreateProjectRulesAssembly(FileReference ProjectFileName, Boolean bUsePrecompiled, Boolean bSkipCompile, Boolean bForceCompile)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.RulesCompiler.CreateTargetRulesAssembly(FileReference ProjectFile, String TargetName, Boolean bSkipRulesCompile, Boolean bForceRulesCompile, Boolean bUsePrecompiled, FileReference ForeignPlugin)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildTarget.Create(TargetDescriptor Descriptor, Boolean bSkipRulesCompile, Boolean bForceRulesCompile, Boolean bUsePrecompiled)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.CreateMakefile(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, TargetDescriptor TargetDescriptor, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.Build(List`1 TargetDescriptors, BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet, BuildOptions Options, FileReference WriteOutdatedActionsFile, Boolean bSkipPreBuildTargets)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.BuildMode.Execute(CommandLineArguments Arguments)
>    at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.Main(String[] ArgumentsArray)
> WriteFileIfChanged() wrote 0 changed files of 0 requested writes.

The error is thrown by the UnrealBuildTool → RulesCompiler.cs

I have no idea where to look further. Any help is welcome.
Greetings

3 Likes

Is there anyone who can confirm that remote building from Windows to Mac for an IPad works with UE5? I have no problems with UE4.27 doing that, but still if I upgrade a working and remote building project to UE5 I get this error.

You can copy marketplace rules.dll from your pc your remote Mac then run remote build and it works.

My understanding is that this has been fixed in 5.0.2 but yet to test.

1 Like

Where can I get marketplacerules.dll? It’s just that I don’t have it in the ue5 and ue4 folders

I think it’s in one of your %AppData% folders. You should be able to search for the file then copy it to where the log is reporting it’s looking for the file

2 Likes

I’ve managed to build successfully in 5.0.2 without encountering this bug so looks like it’s fixed

Just ran into this on 5.02, so it doesnt appear to be fixed.

1 Like

I have the same problem :smiling_face_with_tear:

I succeeded and I found it was the problem programe.

??? instructions unclear. same issue. 5.0.2

got the marketplacerules.dll file from windows, created correct directory in Mac, same error.

bummed :frowning:

same issue, got the file from windows, put in on Mac, exact same file path they asked for, still same error.

UATHelper: Packaging (IOS): ERROR: Precompiled rules assembly ‘/Users/ecophobia/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/MarketplaceRules.dll’ does not exist.
PackagingResults: Error: Precompiled rules assembly ‘/Users/ecophobia/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/MarketplaceRules.dll’ does not exist.

I copied marketplacerules DLL to the specified path of MAC, but there will be an error of is denied.

Can someone help me

ERROR: Unhandled exception: System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access to the path ‘/Users/janetgu/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/MarketplaceRules.dll’ is denied.

I’m sorry that I’m not 100% sure what I did different but I’d at least like to let you know what I did that worked for me:

I’m using UE 5.0.3. When I tried to build I got the same error.
I went to my %AppData% on my Windows computer and copied my MarketplaceRules.dll to a flash drive.
Then I transferred my flash drive to my MAC and browsed to my /Users/ directory on my MAC (Using finder on MAC has always been awkward for me.) - The Library folder was hidden for me so I had to right click and manage my view in order to enable viewing the library folder.

It’s been a minute but when I was going through my folders I hit one where my MAC was missing the directory somewhere past the Library folder so I had to create a Build and Build Rules folder (I don’t remember if I had to make an intermediate folder, too). After I was in the right directory and made sure my directory names were all correct I did a shipping package for iOS that worked.

Although, I think your error appears different than what some of us are getting. Your access to that folder is being denied whereas my error read that the folder didn’t exist. Your issue may also be related somehow to permissions or your firewall.

Welcome to the forum! I hope anything I said can be of help!

1 Like

Thank you for your reply

At the beginning, I had the same error situation as in the topic, prompting that marketplacerules.dll does not exist.

Then, refer to the method in the topic to copy the specified path from “marketplacerules. DLL” of windows to the Mac, and then prompt me that access is denied……

It’s so sad……

I found that the lack of MarketplaceRules.dll is only a superficial phenomenon. The real reason may be because you have enabled one or more of the four plug-ins of Live Link, Live Link Control Rig, Apple ARKit, and Apple ARKit Face Support. Turn them off. It can be packaged successfully. If you need Apple ARKit, then at least turn off Apple ARKit Face Support.

You just saved my ■■■ buddy. Thank you.

Hi. I have same experience with you. First I found my mac doesn’t has Epic folder under ‘/Users/xxx/Library/Application Support’ so I created it. But please create it using normal user not super user. That will help you solve access denied problem.

Same error

This does not work because Live Link is needed by ARUtilities which in turn is needed by ARKit!

I report that this issue still occurs in 5.1.1. . I have gone ahead and tried with the above recommended solution and it worked like a charm! For me there was no Epic Folder so I have created the entire folder structure.

Important! There is not just one Libraries folder! Make sure you copy the file into the right one under this path: /Users/[yourusername/Library/Application Support/Epic/UnrealEngine/Intermediate/Build/BuildRules/MarketplaceRules.dll

Can it be that all of this would not occur if we were to actually install Unreal Engine on the Mac? :smiley: