Marketplace Overhaul feedback

YES!! I could not have said it better

He could not have described the Unity Asset Store better :smiley:

Not necessarily a bad thing…

Yeah, but the Unity store looks so cluttered. I much prefer the design of Unreal Engine’s marketplace. Just need to add some of the common e-commerce UI elements.

Overall, it’s a definite step in the right direction. However, I think there’s some flaws for sure that could easily be rectified. Among the most glaring are the fact that the images for marketplace items don’t need to take up so much space IMO. You could shrink them down and display more items per row - we all click them to see more anyways. The fact that we have to load new pages is no good too. If you are worried about too much content, make us click a category before loading any, then load them. But the absolute worse is the ordering. Having newest items first was the best solution IMO. Coupling the last two complaints I listed here, anyone releasing something with a letter late in the alphabet has no chance of exposure. The “New Content” button is nice, but I’d also love a wishlist for favouriting items for later.

Hey guys!

This is great feedback, thank you for putting all of this together! We’re going to look over this and see what we can bring to our web team for improvements on this. If you have more feed back or specific questions please continue to let us know.

Thanks,

Stephanie

Couldn’t agree more, it feels unprofessional IMO … and tacky.

Currency conversion please, even if it’s a guide, would be much appreciated.

Seconded. Besides the term AAA came up few years ago, now that we have ue4 so maybe we should say AAAA ?

Currently Ironbelly has AAA at the beginning of their marketplace items, which is kind of unfair. They are guaranteed to have their packages shown at the top, unless someone else decides to try and pass them up alphabetically, which is impossible without using AAA in their own titles.

Really sorting content according to the alphabetic is tooo bad. Why should some people deserve to be in the ending of a long list just because of their title. It does impact the sales. It should be probably sorted according to entry date. Otherwise everybody start to rename their packs tomorrow to AAA x, AAAA x, or even numbers like 0 x, 010 x, 011 x etc.

These are all great points. I personally would love a review and revision of the naming convention for submissions.

One thing I’ve been having an issue with for a while now is the missuse of Buzz Words. I think allowing buzzwords like “AAA” is a bad policy. Not only since it’s being used wrongly (“AAA” is a classification term used for games with the highest development budgets, levels of promotion or the highest ratings by a consensus of professional reviewers) but it’s also being used to gain top slot.

I feel like if you believe your product is similar to AAA quality that you should just show it not say it. We all know the difference.

You are definitely going to see a lot of products with names starting with “A” if you make sort by alphabet the default. Newer items should be first. I can’t speak for everyone but I tend to check the marketplace daily.

I agree, there seems to be some quality control lacking because they just want to get stuff onto the marketplace that looks “good enough”.
I feel there are a number of things on the market place that misrepresent themselves as “production quality”.

I feel bad for the people who buy them because sure they might be alright for quick prototyping but are not quality assets.

I’d like to restate for Ironbelly’s sake that they use the term AAA and that’s the term we’re referencing, but there’s a ton of other terms on the marketplace now that fall into the same category. It’s also a bit of a stretch to assume Ironbelly did this on purpose to gain top slot since they’ve been using the term for a few release weeks (at a time when newest was indeed featured first).

Edit: not that I’d do any different if I knew it was alphabetically sorted and I had something to sell. You bet your *** that my product would be named Cool Thing! if it was allowed. We’re talking about business here.

^^^^ this. Yes, IronBelly’s stuff is indded impressive as hell. But no need fo rusch superlative terms… it actually turns me off on buying them to be honest. Let the work speak for itself, as it does.

This is exactly why a tagging system and filtering those tags is super important and cannot be stressed enough.

All the weird sorting as categorization type things fade away once you have tags because curation problems are normally due to whatever method was initially used to categorize/sort said items.

When you no longer have to sort (like how they are obviously using title as the sort key) anything initially because everything has proper metadata tags, the problem then just shifts to the UX person giving fancy buttons for that stuff

And if that is provided, it is a user cull issue, which is what I prefer, controlling what I want to see.

Totally agree. Throwing spaghetti out there, seeing what sticks or maybe gives someone a nice little chew and while they are doing said chew, come up with a better idea.

Just would like to see it speedy and filterable, and not obnoxious on screen space =p

Cheers

Lol, I am about to submit another package, you can darn well be sure it is going to start with an A haha… But the A is justified, because it is going to be “Auto Maze Creator” (Though I came up with auto once I saw that it as alphabetized). If others are playing the game, I have to play it too if I can expect a fair amount of sales.

Going from the responses in the thread, I think everyone can agree that it’s probably best to go back to sorting by most recent as opposed to alphabetical. That shouldn’t be too difficult to do.

Since you’re talking about this I’ll give you my 2 cents.
That self appointed AAA label cheapens your work. It’s like you need words and labels to convince people that the quality of your assets is good because images/video can’t, or that you’re trying to scam someone into buying cheap stuff.
I assure you, the images of your assets speaks for themselves, you don’t need that label, IMHO with that on your asset’s name there are more people you’re ******* off and driving away than people buying your asset just because you labeled it that way.
I’m just being so transparent about my opinion cause I talked with you in the past and I know you’re nice people who can take a suggestion for what it is.

I see times coming, where ppl name their content AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA to get toprow. ^^