Marketplace content protection?

As there are people already spreading the free content from marketplace: https://www…com/watch?v=Veo_TH-0zLs (and in this case even claiming they as a made it) I was wondering.

What can/will Epic do to prevent our marketplace stuff to be spread across the internet?
I know it cant be helped to an extend, but I would feel better knowing Epic actively does something against it or finds a way to protect the packages.

Since most of Unity’s assets are already available on various torrent/warez websites and Unity as a company doesn’t do anything against it…
What is Epic’s stance on that?

I don’t think there is much they can do about it. Having some kind of protection, linking .uasset files to accounts would suck when you try to develop in a team and generally cumbersome.
It’s just something we have to accept, lots of people will buy, some will upload it on other sites and some people that can’t afford it or don’t want to pay for it will pirate it, it’s the same with almost all digital products. If big movie companies can’t keep people from downloading their movies illegally I don’t think we can do much to prevent it either.

As long as there is a way of checking that you have right to use marketplace products, I think at least they won’t be able to use stolen content in commercial products.

[=;128842]
As there are people already spreading the free content from marketplace: https://www…com/watch?v=Veo_TH-0zLs (and in this case even claiming they as a made it
[/]

I don’t see anything wrong here. Anyone can package, distribute and market the marketplace content they got a license for in any way they want, as long as it is part of an interactive product. AFAIK there is no source material in what they distribute.

I have also asked the question but no response as yet.

I accepted long ago that you can’t prevent unauthorised distribution, nonetheless, there should still be some general protection.

The only (weak) option at the moment is obfuscation and letting your blueprint/material graphs look like spaghetti madness from hell.

The only thing that upsets me is not getting the credit when someone steals my stuff and calls it their own. … as in this video.

Granted it’s a tacky thing to do but I don’t see anything that says they are violating any fair use rights unless someone added lying to the terms and conditions. :smiley:

The again it’s just a video.

[=;129024]
The only thing that upsets me is not getting the credit when someone steals my stuff and calls it their own. … as in this video.

Granted it’s a tacky thing to do but I don’t see anything that says they are violating any fair use rights unless someone added lying to the terms and conditions. :smiley:

The again it’s just a video.
[/]

How can you call something stolen when it is used in accordance with its license? (Where do they claim to have made the content? I can’t find it.)

UE4 assets don’t contain any sort of DRM, so there are two ways to stop intentional unauthorized distribution of content: Ask nicely, or go through a legal process, for example a DMCA takedown request, or a lawsuit seeking an injunction.

These steps can be taken by a Marketplace seller and/or by Epic. When paid Marketplace content launches, we’ll be watching this and working out the details of a potential response as it develops. Generally, piracy is a never-ending battle that can’t be won but can often be contained to some extent.

[= Sweeney;129096]
UE4 assets don’t contain any sort of DRM, so there are two ways to stop intentional unauthorized distribution of content: Ask nicely, or go through a legal process, for example a DMCA takedown request, or a lawsuit seeking an injunction.

These steps can be taken by a Marketplace seller and/or by Epic. When paid Marketplace content launches, we’ll be watching this and working out the details of a potential response as it develops. Generally, piracy is a never-ending battle that can’t be won but can often be contained to some extent.
[/]

Mr Sweeney, Can desperately poor market place developers rely on the fact Epic have resources they don’t in this regard? (and the fact you take 30% and push tax liability onto the seller) As a means of guaranteeing that Epics organisation and partners will take care of such issues.

For example i searched just the term Unreal Engine 4 on Google 3-4 weeks back (looking for stuff randomly that might help me out) and found links listed within the first few pages of FREE downloads of the engine that we all subscribe and pay for. Your going to need an anti piracy department to protect A) your own content and B) Market place sellers if your going to charge 30% and tax as client responsibility that you also deduct direct.

Needs thought, If not maybe certain people might have better results selling away fron Market place to avoid the issue.

Cheers KB

[=KingBadger3D;129151]
Mr Sweeney, Can desperately poor market place developers rely on the fact Epic have resources they don’t in this regard? (and the fact you take 30% and push tax liability onto the seller) As a means of guaranteeing that Epics organisation and partners will take care of such issues.

For example i searched just the term Unreal Engine 4 on Google 3-4 weeks back (looking for stuff randomly that might help me out) and found links listed within the first few pages of FREE downloads of the engine that we all subscribe and pay for. Your going to need an anti piracy department to protect A) your own content and B) Market place sellers if your going to charge 30% and tax as client responsibility that you also deduct direct.

Needs thought, If not maybe certain people might have better results selling away fron Market place to avoid the issue.

Cheers KB
[/]

It doesn’t matter where you sell the content the publisher will take their percentage and it will always be at risk due to rampid piracy rates in software and game development assets.

We can’t expect and should not expect to see any out of the ordinary enforcement from epic and if we do that’s wonderful but how many other stores turbo squid, unity, steam etc have anti piracy protection that seek and enforce against this type of activity.

A lot of piracy happens from countries where enforcement is too difficult and not even cost effective to seek the prosecution or restitution.

Multi billion dollar software companies can’t stop piracy or reverse engineering of their creations which lose millions In sales, unfortunately pirates don’t understand how much it hurts small time content creators.

a $100 game asset will not be considered much of a loss to anyone, so anyone creating content should factor that into your decision to make store assets, and expect loss and know that not all people pirate things there still are ethical developers ready to purchase your assets and support you for all the hard work you have done.

Well assuming that access to the market place is by subscription that alone is a good pound of prevention.

Actually, you still have access to the marketplace (everything up to your last billed engine version, including engine hotfixes) after you cancel your subscription.

Personally, I’m not bothered about access/distribution as much as I am bothered by complete visibility of blueprint/material implementation for reverse engineering.

If you can’t have an edge by selling something ‘unique’ then it somewhat removes the incentive.

Self contained marketplace assets such as models, textures and sounds will sell well.

However, who will buy a material or blueprint from the marketplace when they can simply download from some warez website for free, then cut&paste?!

Trying to prevent people from pirating marketplace content is an exercise in futility. It’s too easy and any sort of DRM would be too harmful if its even possible.

The more sensible thing to do would be looking at products that are actually published with UE4 to see if they contain pirated assets. You shouldn’t worry about someone pirating assets unless they actually try to sell a product using them or repackage your own work as theirs and try to sell it on the marketplace again.

Personaly i dont see a problem if my assets are pirated as far as they’re not used commercially, people want to see what they’re getting, i can understand that.I’m thinking when i build something for the market, to have a free for download scene so that anyone can see what is actually getting before paying money for it, which is only for evaluation purposes.But there should be something that can prove that the person or is using the paid version.I dont know if this is good idea but i believe there should be something that people can see and check if its going to be of use for their games/projects before buying it. :slight_smile:

What if we buy some assets from the marketplace, release a game using the assets, and then find out the seller of the assets pirated them from someone else. We didn’t do anything wrong but could still be sued over it. That is what I would be worried about.

[=LethalEncounter;135086]
What if we buy some assets from the marketplace, release a game using the assets, and then find out the seller of the assets pirated them from someone else. We didn’t do anything wrong but could still be sued over it. That is what I would be worried about.
[/]

I dont think this is going to happen.Someone will find it way before anyone releses a game.But i’m certain someone will try it. :smiley:

@ICO_hr, Your the exact reason im worried about posting content if Epic don’t have staff to track such behaviour. Your argument is astonishing, For example im no massive company with money poring out my ears. In fact the reason im trying to sell some high quality assets on here for the community is because im near to homelessness and need the extra income. How the hell could i ever spend the time trying to track down Google links,Torrents and check every project released. Your just trying to justify ripping the small one man guys like me of by painting all developers with the brush, Their all minted so screw them.

If not, good chance ill be sleeping on a park bench or in a tent for Christmas, you talk like because your not going to use those pirated assets in a commercial way that it makes no difference, That’s utter *****. Half of what will come with my asset pack are tutorials based of years of work and understanding how to use software, not just the final assets. If you just pirated my work and watch the videos ( a large part of the value of what im trying to make money from) you have already gained knowledge and techniques that you would never of known without it.

It’s not like you can say, Ahhh ill unlearn the things that were taught. Without people within the community that pay for Epics engine, their would be no product to be able to pirate download in the first place. So what your asking is for others to cover the costs, do all the hard learning, and use their time to produce these assets so you can pretend to be a 3d artist or game developer.

It can be frustrating and stressful to be in that position but know that insulting and cussing at potential customers is not going to help your position.

[=Veovis Muad’dib;135737]
It can be frustrating and stressful to be in that position but know that insulting and cussing at potential customers is not going to help your position.
[/]

I agree with you, wouldn’t do that normally but just look at this guys post above " Personally i dont see a problem if assets are pirated as far as they’re not used commercially". I don’t think this guy will be buying anyone’s content, id even question if he’s even purchased UE4.

After reading statements like that small indie devs are bound to be annoyed, talk like that being accepted on the EPIC GAMES UE4 FORUM FOR MARKETPLACE just endorses a president of it being acceptable to screw people like me over and think they have a clear conscious. Im not apologising for anything i said. It’s thought patterns like that which will make only rubbish content available on market place.

[=KingBadger3D;135732]
@ICO_hr, Your the exact reason im worried about posting content if Epic don’t have staff to track such behaviour. Your argument is astonishing, For example im no massive company with money poring out my ears. In fact the reason im trying to sell some high quality assets on here for the community is because im near to homelessness and need the extra income. How the hell could i ever spend the time trying to track down Google links,Torrents and check every project released. Your just trying to justify ripping the small one man guys like me of by painting all developers with the brush, Their all minted so screw them.
[/]

Mate, what are you talking about?Did you read at all what i was saying?Yes, personally i dont mind my assets on the marketplace being pirated as far as are not used commercially, using them in games or in anything that someone will make money from my work.Where did i say that i’m fine using pirated stuff and using them for making money?My entire post was about making everything convinient enough for the people who will buy it, so they will have zero or close to zero insentive to pirate my content.

[=KingBadger3D;135732]
It’s not like you can say, Ahhh ill unlearn the things that were taught. Without people within the community that pay for Epics engine, their would be no product to be able to pirate download in the first place. So what your asking is for others to cover the costs, do all the hard learning, and use their time to produce these assets so you can pretend to be a 3d artist or game developer. Your an utter ****.
[/]

Now this is rude, very rude.

[=KingBadger3D;135732]
I agree with you, wouldn’t do that normally but just look at this guys post above " Personally i dont see a problem if assets are pirated as far as they’re not used commercially". I don’t think this guy will be buying anyone’s content, id even question if he’s even purchased UE4.
[/]

I’m currently making content for the marketplace and i’m concern about the same stuff as averybody else who will post paid content, so we’re in the same boat.I’ve purchased UE4 right from the beginning and currently i’m also with active subscription, i can post a screenshot from my dashboard if you dont believe me, also i’m sure someone from Epic can check me right now if they desire to do so. :slight_smile:

[=KingBadger3D;135732]
After reading statements like that small indie devs are bound to be annoyed, talk like that being accepted on the EPIC GAMES UE4 FORUM FOR MARKETPLACE just endorses a president of it being acceptable to screw people like me over and think they have a clear conscious. Im not apologising for anything i said. It’s thought patterns like that which will make only rubbish content available on market place.
[/]

You dont understand at all what was my post was about.I just want people who will buy assest from me or in general to have some option to see exactly what they’re getting.I want to have the option to release free separate scene which is not intended for commersial use with all or some of the assets which people can try and test.If they’re happy they can purchase the actual content that can be used by them for commercial use or whatever they want to do with it.This will basically eliminate the insentive anyone to pirate stuff and is verry good option for the people who will buy stuff because they’ll know exactly what they’re getting and how usefull will be for them.This is what my post was about.Also anyone can download the free version and hopefully someone will learn something from it, i’m ok with that as far as no one use it for making money with it.

This is how i want to release all of my stuff as far as i have the option to do it.How can you see any problem with that i have no idea. :slight_smile:

Hey,

Your the one trying to speak like your a reflection of thought for market place producers saying it’s OK to pirate content because people have the right to see what their buying (funny, If i buy a movie DVD or a game for Xbox or PS3 can i then take it back and say no i don’t like it?, Get a grip), Well most producers would of made screen shots, Video’s to explain that process in the first place. Like i explained what about the content that is educational driven, Tutorials. Once someone has learnt that information they have no reason to buy the content legitimately.

“Mate, what are you talking about?Did you read at all what i was saying?Yes, personally i dont mind my assets on the marketplace being pirated as far as are not used commercially, using them in games or in anything that someone will make money from my work”

Well if you don’t care about privacy WHY are you even using Market place anyway, you could go and post your stuff anywhere for free on the web with T&C’s for commercial use. You wouldn’t even have to pay Epic 30% at that point?

Do what you like with your own work but don’t talk for others using the release platform by advocating piracy of their content.

Also, thought you may do so, You just changed your original post that this was all started by in the first place. Had an idea you may do that so i copied it before you got to change it, it WAS as follows:

ICO_hr: Personaly i dont see a problem if assets are pirated as far as they’re not used commercially, people want to see what they’re getting, i can understand that.I’m thinking when i build something for the market, to have a free for download scene so that anyone can see what is actually getting before paying money for it, which is only for evaluation purposes.But there should be something that can prove that the person or is using the paid version.I dont know if this is good idea but i believe there should be something that people can see and check if its going to be of use for their games/projects before buying it.