Marketing and copyright questions

Hi i am new to dev and sorry if i am asking in the wrong section in case it is but my question is about the copyright issue i am going to open an account in play dev and i would like to know things so i don’t get in copyright issue ,hope some one who have experience to answer my question or someone from epic team :

1: can i publish Tappy Chicken in play even without change ? as i know its free sample .(just want to know if its possible not to do it ^-^ )

1. can i publish Tappy Chicken with only replacing the Chicken with something else :slight_smile: ?

2. can i publish a game that contain piece of unknown music ? and when i will get copyright issue ? if the owner report the game that have his music or will search about the music ?

3. once i finish my project can i upload it directly to the play or i need a permission from epic team and if yes then how ?

4. if i upload my game to play then who make the compatibility test as i don’t think every developer have 20 phones to test it on them all .

5. if i upload a game to play and then the game get copyright issue later and it get removed coz it have a music with no license can i remove the music from the game later and upload it again with same name ?

6. can i use name for my game like “mario in jungle” ?if not can i use name "mario in jungle unofficial " or “mario in jungle fan made” game ? if still not then how can i make a fun made game for my favorite classic games ?

8.is it fine if i make a free game with a music and type in the credit the owner of that music ?

1. if my game look like super mario then can i put the key ward or tag to my game “super mario” ?

thanks a lot , and excuse my bad eng if its there .

hope if some one else have question too to it here as we are new to game development and we don’t like to fall in unknown issue .

1: can i publish Tappy Chicken in play even without change ? as i know its free sample .(just want to know if its possible not to do it ^-^ )
No. Read the license of the TC :slight_smile:

**2. can i publish Tappy Chicken with only replacing the Chicken with something else ? **
No. Read the license of the TC :slight_smile:

3. can i publish a game that contain piece of unknown music ? and when i will get copyright issue ? if the owner report the game that have his music or will search about the music ?
If the music piece is licensed, then probably not. Some are licensed for non-commercial, some are license free. It depends per ‘track’.

4. once i finish my project can i upload it directly to the play or i need a permission from epic team and if yes then how ?
It’s your game. You really should read some documents :slight_smile:

5. if i upload my game to play then who make the compatibility test as i don’t think every developer have 20 phones to test it on them all .
Well, it’s your game and you are responsible for what you support and not support. You can always ask friends to test your games.

**6. if i upload a game to play and then the game get copyright issue later and it get removed coz it have a music with no license can i remove the music from the game later and upload it again with same name ? **
Usually disputes are fought in court.

**7. can i use name for my game like “mario in jungle” ?if not can i use name "mario in jungle unofficial " or “mario in jungle fan made” game ? if still not then how can i make a fun made game for my favorite classic games ? **
Mario is just a name. Ofcourse you can name a game “Mario in Jungle”. It would be a bit misleading tho.

8.is it fine if i make a free game with a music and type in the credit the owner of that music ?
Depends on the license. Which varies per track/artist/record label. There is really no easy answer for this. It’s all in the licensing.

9. if my game look like super mario then can i put the key ward or tag to my game “super mario” ?
Well, there is this thing called “plagiarism”. It basically means you cannot copy someones work. If you make a game that looks a lot like Super Mario, you have a to get sued for plagiarism.
So yes, you can do it. Would it be wise? No. Beside Super Mario is a trademark brand of Nintendo, so I wouldn’t do it.

thanks a lot Singetsua for answering all my questions :slight_smile: here is another one :smiley: :

i just check Tappy Chicken and it say " licensed for use only with unreal engine based product " then could you tell me what does it mean ? as even the open world demo collection have the same description so does that mean i can’t use the asset from this too ? then whats the point for this and it say "use them to create new level ".

Licensed for use only with unreal engine based product means that you can not use this in something like Unity or Cry Engine. You can by all means use content from other UE4 sample projects in your own projects that you sell for money.

sorry for asking again as i said english is not my first language , so you mean i can use it in my game that i build in unreal engine and sell it later right ? and if yes then this apply to TC right ? if no then i think i have to go and study english to understand you better :slight_smile:

Any of the sample content that you can download that is provided by Epic can be used in your game that you sell for money. You could even go as far to take Tappy Chicken reskin it then release that. However what you can not do is take all of the content that Epic provides and use it for a game you are making in Unity or Cry Engine. You can read more about this using the following links.

Thank you both a lot you explained all the points that was not clear for me really appreciated .

I just wanted to come in here and make sure to clarify that Singetsua is wrong here. You don’t even need to swap colors or anything, you can just sell Tappy Chicken on the market as-is, as long you have to pay royalties on it. Problem there of course is that is over playing those kinds of games and selling a clone of a clone won’t get you very far.

When you are ready to release a game, all you have to do is follow the instructions here: Richtlinien für die Veröffentlichung und Lizenzgebührennachverfolgung - Unreal Engine

As far as your questions about copyrighted materials and music; don’t. It’s just asking for a lawsuit and loss of your property.

Dear thanks for confirmation when i asked for all that question it was just hypothetical i just need to know if its ok or not i don’t think any dev will like to upload a game not his own :slight_smile: and what you meant by "as long you have to pay royalties on it. " do you mean the “pay a 5% royalty on that amount after the first $3000 per game” or other kind of royalties ?

Mhnoni,

Yes, the royalties that are to be paid to Epic Games is 5% on the amount after the first $3000.00 made, per game. You can read more information here.

thanks a lot guys .

I got another question in my mind as we are new and we like to test our games before uploading it directly to play store as you know if you make any copyright mistake your account will be closed , so what is other great store we can upload our games without worrying about copyright issue and get people feedback if the game is OK or not .

My point is i might like to make my favorite game in future like remake of super Mario and you know its not possible to upload such game to play or any other legal store so is there are alternative way to publish these kind of games ? and if possible to get paid too ?

sorry to ask these kind of question and if its legal to ask in official unreal engine form or not but this is the best place to learn and to know your limit .

As a remake of Super Mario possibly cause licensing issues your only option is torrent sites.

For testing you can use Samsung’s virtual devices. It offers a large variety in devices.