Map size limitations in a space environment

Hello,

I’ve recently decided I’m going to attempt to remake the Unity prototype of my current game in Unreal engine to get a side-by-side comparison to see which one runs more smoothly and looks/feels better overall.

I am aware that Unreal, not being made for space games, has a lower vertical map size limitation than horizontal, but cannot find any official numbers on the vertical limits of a map in Unreal Engine (at least not without conflicting numbers.)

The ships I have currently designed range from ten meter long starfighters to capital ships in the two-kilometer length area. Even one of these capital ships would likely take up too much of the map on their own. I was hoping to hear solutions on working around this limit.

I know Unreal Engine 4 supports something where a segmented, larger, map can be created, but don’t know how it affects the AI and physics of objects outside of a certain distance. Would this feature also work to increase the vertical height of a map? Or is it only for horizontal directions?

Right now it’s going to be singleplayer. I plan to retool it for multiplayer down the road once I’ve become more familiar with Unreal Engine.