Map environment split up?

So after reading ark-dev-kit-documentation environments level-design i am left with a couple of questions.

Is it correctly understood that the sub-levels shown in the dokument that the near is used for everything u see when you are in that area and the far is when ever you are not in the area?

And does the kit supports more sub-levels then to E? or 5 in that matter?

Thats what i am having a little bit trouble with right now. Where the different things should be and in which sub-levels.

I hope some of you might be able to help me out :slight_smile:

and is it normal for the dev-kit to crash atleast 5 times while working on it throughout the day?

Hi ,

Yes, the point of sublevels is to limit the amount of things loaded when the game launches or you enter a new area.

To quote , “UE4 and ADK is limited in what file size’s can be cooked and that limit is roughly 600-700mb, So if you wish to have a very big map you can haver 5 landscapes spread over 5 submaps, maxing out each one”. More on that here.

Also check the ARK dev kit document on Level Design here.

And yes, lol. I crash the dev kit repeatedly. If there is a way to break it, I’ll find it! :cool:

Ty for the reply!

Just to be sure i undestand it correctly. Say i make 1 landscape sublevel then i need to create left say 4 zones. A1 (near and far), A2, A3 and A4 correct? where the trees and rocks and so on are placed?

I have a sublevel for my landscape and two levels for near and far for each section, yep.

Allright :slight_smile:

Any guide lines for how many sub levels it should be split into ?

If it’s around the size of theisland, I’d follow their example with 5x5. My map is slightly larger and I used 5x5. A1, A2, A3, A4, A5 down to E5.

My ADK crashes quite a bit (really depends on what I’m doing at the time, mostly happens during risky tasks) and I’ve got a fairly decent rig with 32gb of ram.

Here’s how I’ve been laying out my submaps (this is per 32x32 landscape);

1 for landscape

1 for Static Mesh Actors (scenery, props, etc)

1 for Foliage

& one last one for clutter

An even better tip: check out how TheIsland is laid out, and same with TheSmallIsland for how they chose to lay things out :slight_smile: