Making your game moddable.

so do you think that giving the uncooked version of a game to end users would be a right choice?

What can I do to help make this happen? I’m a moderator on the Ark Modding forums now, and think I could be of assistance in a few ways with this. I’d also personally love to be able to release a DK for the game I’m working on when its ready down the line. Excited about this :slight_smile:

• Sinari

Hey , any updates on this? Last I heard you were hoping for something posted by the end of July so just wanted to ping you on this. As I am in the initial stages of prototyping on a project, this is of high interest to me to ensure we can start off on the right foot so to speak.

Anyone interestested on ingame level editors or the like should definitly check the post #126 of this this thread :

It seems like an addon for the editor, not in game editor, or am I missing something? didn’t read it all.

You missed post #126 :

Just imagine using this with your doom remake , i would be like the new one that lets you create level in-game , so bad that you stopped working on it , but repourposing it as another game is still a choice.

So… anything? Honestly I am starting to feel a little sour on this whole thing. I feel like Ark is getting tons of attention from Unreal when it should be the community as a whole getting the attention so we can all make games just as moddable as Ark. Now Ark is even in the launcher for crying out loud. What are you going to do when more games are moddable like that? Or maybe you’re not sharing the info to prevent that :smiley: Ok that was a semi joke, but that is almost how it feels. You announced this whole Mod push in July saying there would be more information on best practices and what not on how can make their games be easily moddable with UE4, but now two months later all I keep seeing is more news about how great Ark is for modding.

Sorry that all was a bit harsh, but its how it feels right now and I just needed to get it off my chest.

So… Any idea when those promised docs/blog posts/whatever might actually be showing up (Since it obviously isn’t “end of July”)?

Hey! Sorry about the wait for the info and lack of follow up here. In working through a lot of these things, we’ve been identifying pain points with the process and tweaking things to make it more streamlined before pushing out any documentation. The last thing we’d want to do is publish something that wouldn’t be helpful.

You should expect some more information on the topic within the coming weeks! I know a certain has been working diligently with us on a number of things :cool:

My bad on the lack of heads up here BTW! We’ll keep you posted moving forward

Thank you so much for responding ! In fact I had a feelign you guys would run into a lot more complications than you thought you would, so the delay doesn’t exactly suprise me. It was the lack of any follupw that was the real issue, so thanks. I am also very happy to see you guys are actually really looking into it and identifying the issues to be address, that makes me very happy. Most of the “suggestions” for modding in the past have all felt half-baked so I am super excited that Epic is finally embracing this whole-heartally!

Awesome, looking forward to hearing more about this, you folks at Epic Games are truly amazing.

like kismet tutorial for iOS?

Any update on this side of things?

Second that. Any update on this?

I really want to know how to make mods (and patches) for archviz projects though, not games, yet :smiley:

Hey, sorry so silent here.

Our good friend worked on a guide for those looking at getting started with modding today. You can find it here](A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements - Epic Developer Community Forums).

It’s still the early days for modding in UE4, and a number of improvements are yet to be made (but they’re coming!). If you run into anything that’s particularly troublesome, let us know so we can get it on the radar.

Hey Chariots - I’ll dig into progress here and see what the story is :slight_smile:

something else that might work is some way to use a in game editor, that would read files saved with data(save-game esque), although this may actually be more difficult than what is being worked on, just saying this for brainstorming:)

I am also very interested how to make modded game with marketplace assets.

This is what I’m working on actually but it still lacks the ability to build more complex shapes ( like probuilder can ).

/

subscribing

Still no update ?