Making Trees more Beautiful

Hi Guys :slight_smile:
(Yeah i know its another thread about trees^^. But I think it would not hurt to have more threads about this hard topic)

As the Title says I am trying to make my trees more beautiful and interesting. I am not a great Artist so its not easy for me to make wonderful looking trees. I Googled and exercised a LOT. But at the moment I dont make a big progress.
So what is important at a tree to make it look beautiful? The shape? the leaves? the overall look?

Here are some pics of my newest Tree.Its an Oak. I put all my “tree wisdom” in it :D.
(I became a “Database Error when I want to Upload pictures. So Ill use share your photo.com”).
Album | Share-your-photo.com

I create the Trees with XFrog and then I make some extra things on it with Blender.
I would use Speedtree but I dont have a credit card.

It would be great if anyone could give me tips :slight_smile:

The tree mesh itself is probably fine. It’s hard to tell since the pictures are pretty far away from the tree, but I think working on the materials and textures for the bark might help.

Always helps to look at reference pictures:

8d10462eec5a0133e1e519190205f36ac47ececa.jpeg

This isn’t the same shape as your tree, but you can always look at real life examples. Your tree looks very smooth - in the image above, the tree bark sticks out. It looks rough and jagged. Try using normal and displacement maps for your tree bark. The leaves also look a little bit too shiny, IMO.

The bottom of the tree seems to be coming out of the ground too abruptly. It looks more like it’s going through a flat 2D plane than growing up out of the landscape. You could try making the ground less flat, putting some grass around the base of the tree, or making the base of the tree less flat and slightly more conic. Look at this one for example:

0d6ee6b93933dc3ec79dfc45c3d513bac0b865e6.jpeg

Little details like that go a long way.

EDIT: Left something out. Also notice how, in the pictures above, there are little things like knots in the tree and the
lichen that break the repetition and make it look much more real.

Big thanks to you :slight_smile:
I will try your tips out tomorrow after work. I will update my result then.

When I first started out doing pixel art I couldn’t find a good tutorial on how to make trees. So now that I’m a bit better, I’ve decided to make my own!

For this tutorial, you’ll need some sort of digital art program. You probably shouldn’t be looking at digital art tutorials if you don’t have a digital art program. I use Pro Motion, but I’m pretty sure that Gimp and Photoshop work too.

Step One: Basic Shape

So first things first, we’ve got to make the general shape of the tree. R Programming Training | SAS Training | Android Online Training | Weblogic Online Training | MongoDB Online Training | MongoDB Admin Online Training | SQL Online Training

@adleyami Thanks for help :). I already have draw the basic shape of the tree on paper.

The tree seems really better with a more jagged shape.
Here is the result:

http://de.share-your-photo.com/5dd1c4be1b/album

What I have changed: Make the leaves less shiny and also less colored, Changed the shape(obviously :D) and also added some more Branches and Leaves.

I noticed that the colors in the photos are a bit sharper and more clear.

Thanks for the big help so far :slight_smile:
But I think the Tree can even look more better. Did anyone have more advises for me? :slight_smile: