Making Textures for 3D Objects?

First of all –> Hi! :smiley:

I would like to get some advice for making textures for a 3D Object. To be honest, I’m just slightly above Noob level when it comes to 3D Modeling and Texture creation, but I try to get into these things so I don’t have to rely on 3rd party assets all the time.

So, I have heard that you can export a 3D Object as an *.obj file to import it into Photoshop and apply/paint textures on it. I’ve already watched some tutorials regarding the basics of texture painting, but I still have some questions left unanswered:

1. When I am done applying a texture to an object in Photoshop, will that texture stay on the 3D Object when I edit it in my 3D Software, so I can just import it “pre-textured” into Unreal Engine?
  2. When I apply a bump map to my texture, will that bump map (together with the texture) be exported within the object so I can casually export the *.obj file into a format that can be used by Unreal Engine?

These are the things that keep me from going deeper into the 3D modeling aspect, because I don’t know if I have to create all the textures seperately just to add them later in the engine. I don’t have the slightest clue on how the classic tiling/positioning of the texture parts works either. So a little help on that matter would be greatly appreciated :slight_smile:

(Now one might ask: “Why didn’t you just try it out?” —> I fear I’m missing something rather simple that would do the trick much faster and that I might be wasting my time on trial and error whereas I could already be creating things.)

Hi.

You can go photoshop but this means you need to handpaint everything.
I would strongly suggest you check out, 3dcoat, zbrush, mudbox or quixel.

Creating textures in real time is much simpler than messing around with UV’s in photoshop if you are new to it.
And you need to export your textures, import your model and your textures and then assign it.

Unfortunately it doesnt just stay on the model.

I don’t know about the first one. But I do know that FBX can store materials so if they’re setup correctly in your 3D software UE should create the materials for you when you import.

Hey,

Thanks for your replies. I think I’ll go with Quixel in the future, it does almost all of what I’ve wasted hours on in Photoshopt alone.

But now I have a new problem:

For Quixel, I need an “ID Map”, which is basically a texture map with individual colors to determine materials (such as metal, wood and so on). I understand that part already, but my problem now is that my texture map is not applied correctly by Quixel. I’ve made a basic and not-quite-detailed sword model for this in Cinema 4D (here is a screenshot of it —>http://i.imgur.com/FS2wYsD.png). I’ve applied a certain color to each part of the sword for the ID Map. Now I’ve baked the texture map (this one —>http://i.imgur.com/NLxCCkW.png) and imported it into Quixel and now it is just pasted onto it, but not assigned to each part as it should be (http://i.imgur.com/VrX5D5z.png).

Do you guys have any Idea why that happens?

I know, I should hit the Quixel guys up, but I fear this might be a general problem.

I understand what your going through aha, I fairly new to 3d modelling and learning how to create assets alone is fairly difficult to start off with never mind the texturing

It is hard to grasp indeed. I hope someone can help me with my texture map issue in post #4, it’s really keeping me from actively creating things :frowning:

All the tip I can give you learning it my self is this. It took me two days to create my model ( limited time ) and afterwards it took me a week to actually get a grasp of UV mapping and texture making. I think that everyone will tell you that uv mapping and texturing takes the most time so sadly you just have to stick with it and experiment. And yes you will have to invest the time for it if you wish to continue with your hobby.

Lin does a good tutorial in what way to think when creating textures and that it all comes down to just being creative. Also Photoshop and filters :slight_smile:

Google UV-Mapping and look for tutorials for that, you will need it :smiley:

It appears your UVs/IDs aren’t exporting correctly. When you export the .obj are you making sure the material/ID boxes are checked in the OBJ export dialogue? I think this is the problem, the OBJ isn’t transferring the IDs and it’s correct positions. I work in Max, but the OBJ export dialogue should be the same. I would check in the C4d wikis or YouTube to find the correct export settings for OBJ.
You could also just practice on a simple cube to have less IDs to figure out where the transfer problem is originating. Good luck and report back, because it helps others learn also.

On a side note: If anyone in here uses Max and has problems with color maps/polygroups I found by chance a Max script that makes it simple. It’s Japanese lol, but the video explains how it works. In the video info section there is a download link for the script.

Hey everybody, thanks for the answer once again :smiley:

I’m ashamed of myself, the thing I was looking for was UV Mapping. I didn’t even know what that meant until I looked it up lol. But now (as per the usual) I have more problems.

I’ve watched several Tutorials (Both are for Cinema 4D, but I’ll show the links to them further down here anyways) and followed them Step by Step. I really liked the result of the layout this time, so I thought (by the looks of it) this time it might work. But it didn’t. Again. Quixel just can’t get it right, and now it messes up more than before. I’ve exported a more detailed version of the sword (this one now has a tip – Whoo-hoo :smiley: ) and exported JUST ONE object. There was nothing else there. Absolutely nothing. Not in the Camera View, and not in the Browser. But now when I import that *.obj file into Quixel, it now shows both of my Swords. My old and my new one. It layers them on top of another and has just pasted the texture on the top/older one (It didn’t even get that right…).

So I really think Quixel is messing up for me, i.e. it is totally useless for me now (good think I stuck with the demo and didn’t instantly buy it).

Can you guys recommend anything else? Anything that works without Photoshop please. I was pretty “mad” (madness lol) that they didn’t tell me foop about me needing Photoshop for their Product. I think I’ll go for the Substance demo next.

Tutorial Links:

TUTORIAL Cinema 4D & BodyPaint - Texture & UV Mapping - YouTube (<— This one is italian. But you don’t need to understand what he says, just watch out for what he does, it helped me a lot)