Making of "Ponytail" with Ornatrix, Maya and Unreal Engine groom plugin

In this video, I show the performance of this hairstyle in the Unreal Engine 4 viewport on a single 2080Ti. I tell you how many frames I rendered, show the settings of the sequencer, which CVars I used to improve the rendering, how to improve the DoF on hairs, what the hairstyle consists of, and how to optimize the FPS, how to create LoD, etc.

More tutorials:

Video content:

0:00 - Subtitle selection

0:05 - Acknowledgments

0:40 - Channel support

1:19 - How to speed up video production and get early access to WIP, ad-free lessons, model discounts, etc.

1:44 - Lesson topic. How many frames did you create for rendering?

2:08 - Movie Render Queue settings

2:50 - How to improve DoF for hair?

4:17 - Performance test on 2080Ti

6:02 - Hair shader settings.

6:31 - What’s wrong with the ponytail?

6:56 - How did I create the node?

8:14 - How to check the amount of hair for export?

9:03 - How to optimize your hairstyle for Unreal Engine Alembic Hair?

12:21 - Performance test after optimization.

13:58 - Forrender Renderfarm

14:05 - Promo code to use 15% lifetime discount on our render farm.

14:08 - Info-partners

14:11 - Ending and preview of other lessons.

This is my grooming - a project for REPLIKR from New Zealand - https://www.replikr.com/ , which I did in Unreal Engine 4 using the groom plugin and Ornatrix alembic in Maya.

Render time - 13 hours at 2626 frames.

Sampling - 1 Spatial и 32 Temporal AA.

Hair count:

Baby - 548, Main - 74 151, Ponytail - 19 957

I’ll do more when I figure out how to increase the FPS of the viewport =) For regular hair in Arnold - I use 400K hair =) for better quality and a subtle realistic look.

You can read about my struggle with the Unreal Engine settings for Movie Render here-Alembic Hair: Official Answers from Epic Games: Crazy shadow flickering on Render(video with 64 and 128 samples)

Special thanks to Charles from Epic Games for his help with rendering settings and fighting insane shadow flickering.

Project link - ArtStation - Grooming/Lookdev (realtime hair) - UE4 for REPLIKR (2021)

I created the hair in Ornatrix Maya, then exported it to Alembic and imported it using the Groom Plugin.

Shading / Texturing / Rendering - Unreal Engine 4.26.1

The character, eyelashes, eyebrows were prepared by the customer.

The term for this hairstyle is 5 days + 3 days to transfer the hairstyle to another character.

If you find my videos USEFUL, you can express THANKS by supporting me on Boosty - Boosty.to - a place where success turns into a stable income - for this you will receive a lot of exclusive material, which includes early video WIPs, ad-free lessons, model discounts, and many what is interesting.

Happy viewing!

Stay tuned for updates:

★Instagram - http://instagram.com/akcharly_groom

★Twitter - https://twitter.com/artofcharly

★Facebook - Redirecting...

All interviews and articles with me - ArtStation - All my interviews and articles with me =)

Hi, my name is Andrey Krivulya Charly and I am a 3d artist and started my career in 2009. On this channel - I share my experience and talk about all sorts of interesting and useful features of different programs, show my workflow, making of, and so on.

If you want to support this channel:

★- Subscribe to Boosty. More details: Boosty.to - a place where success turns into a stable income

★ - write a comment, like, and share this video on social networks. This is very important for its promotion.

★- buy any of the models here:

★- buy these plugins through these links.

★- buy any of the prints - GroomTD/LookDev - Andrew Krivulya - PRINTS

Enjoy watching!

Best regards, Andrew Krivulya aka Charly.