Making my casual open world story game - The Majestic, solo dev

Hello, I have been solo developing a casual story game that takes place in a large world. After 7 months of development, here is a bit where I’m at with it, as well as a link to my devlog where I showcase development.

At this point in development, most of the mechanics are implemented, now it’s mostly about polishing up my vertical slice/demo, implementing content, optimization, and polishing up the visuals. Financing is also holding me back on some parts. I anticipate to release late 2023 or in 2024 sometime.

Unreal Engine 5 has helped so much with the development of this game, and it is really what makes this possible to do as a solo dev.

Devlog:
The Majestic Devlog

Steam Page:
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1897770/The_Majestic/

Trailer Video:

6 Likes

Greetings, @David_Studio46; I hope you’re doing well. “The Majestic” is the perfect name for such an aesthetically pleasing creation! Your seven months of hard work have definitely paid off, as evident by these incredible screenshots. :star_struck:

Congrats on making it this far in your solo developer journey, and thank you for sharing this journey with us in the forum! I patiently await further updates. :grin:

2 Likes

Last week I spent time learning Chaos so I could create this destruction sequence for the game.

1 Like

My word, even the destruction sequence is a beautiful sight to see! Thank you for sharing. I wonder if you had more fun destroying this scene than building it. :thinking: :laughing:

1 Like

Thanks a lot, when everything started coming together, it was a lot of fun to start destroying things :grinning: quite a few steps to get to the final product though, i hope to do more of this but there is a bit of time commitment

1 Like

I knew it had to be fun! :laughing:

Keep up the great work; I can’t wait to see what you have in store for us next. :grin:

Here’s a new devlog outlining my steps to create the meteor shower shown above:

2 Likes

What a wonderfully insightful Devlog! Incredible how much work went into creating the destructive meteor shower! Thank you for the great breakdown, and I’m glad things are coming together nicely for you so far. I’m looking forward to the next log, cheers. :smile:

Here’s the trailer I’ve just released:

3 Likes

This whole world seems so beautiful and immersive. Really looking forward to seeing more on this project! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Woah, that was such a captivating and sentimental trailer; beautifully done! Like @PresumptivePanda, I’m curious to see how The Majestic evolves further. :star_struck:

1 Like

Thanks so much.
so glad to see the positive support. These trailers always get me on edge lol

1 Like

Hello, since posting this trailer I have a couple new devlogs showing some progress on the game, using UE5.1

3 Likes

While you said that you have a few more months to go, this is already one of the most beautiful games I’ve ever seen. Can’t wait to see the final product! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Thanks a lot!

1 Like

What a terrific Devlog; the landscape, gameplay, and mechanics for “The Majestic” is coming together very nicely! Especially the landscape; the landscape looks absolutely sublime! As usual, thanks for keeping us updated. :smile:

1 Like

Some images from recent development:

3 Likes

These screenshots of your recent environmental developments are gorgeous, @David_Studio46; I’m really enjoying the contrast of hues in the design! Lovely work; thank you for sharing! :star_struck:

1 Like

Hello, I have spent a lot of time improving the performance of this game. In the hopes of helping someone else, I put together this video outlining many Performance related topics.

1 Like

Hello, @David_Studio46! I hope this message finds you doing well today on this lovely Monday! It’s been a while since you last updated us on the forums, but I’ve been keeping up with your progress on “The Majestic” through my Youtube subscription feed. I must say, I’m impressed with the strides you’ve made in developing your game. I was especially intrigued to see that you used Chatgpt to assist in creating the C++ code necessary for the swimming mode of your character. It’s incredible how much AI can contribute to the development process! :grin:

1 Like