"Making game ready AI" tutorial missing node.

Hello. I’m following the old “making game ready AI” tutorial series, I’m currently using UE5. I’ve Made it to episode 5 and everything works fine. But, at about 49 minutes in they drag off a newly created variable and select “get ai controller,” then just obviously keep moving on from there.

First, I’m getting a error where I created and set the “found AI pawn” variable that they are later dragging off of, saying it’s a “read only” variable and value can not be changed.

Second, the “get AI controller” node does not seem to exist in any context in Unreal at all.

That’s about all I can say, the node just does not exist. Plus, it breaks my project so I can’t move on from here.

Any help would be great! Thanks.

2023-02-26-13-53-03
2023-02-26-13-38-00

Get Ai controller is not an executable function its a passive node (has no exec), so maybe that is a new function created in the tutorial that you missed?

Untitled

I havent done the tutorial myself so i do not know where this Found AIPawn is located, are you missing something? some class or blueprint tahts both of these are located?

Was you supposed to make the variable yourself even?

Thanks for replying. In the first picture there is a set variable node. He dragged from branch, created variable “FoundAiPawn,” that variable type is my ai character. He then dragged out the just created “FoundAiPawn” variable as a “get,” and connected it to the “get Ai Controller,” as in the second picture. But That specific “get ai controller” node does not exist.

The “FoundAiPawn” was just created in the line of BP. It doesn’t reference anything else anywhere else as far as I know.

Not sure why the variable is not allowing you to set it unless you have made it private?

Click on the variable name in the left pane, look to the details panel far right and check its not private.

Secondly use the passive Get AIController node instead and connect into the input where it is needed, it just dont need the EXEC pins is all see if that works, i cannot see where this node connects to after so i cannot say how to connect it!

Also check your variable FoundAI is a vraiable NOT a local variable, and that your function is not marked as “Const” (highlight your function far left pane, far right details pane under Advanced make sure its not ticked)

Ok, private is not checked.

Here is a shot of how it looks after he gets that portion hooked up and completed.

So in the beginning he right clicks and pops in that blue get ai controller node. he then says something like “we can’t use that yet because we don’t have a reference to it yet.” The next part of the BP is then creating that reference, which is the FoundAiPawn variable. But again, that “get ai controller” node doesn’t exist in my unreal anyways.

Look at the top of the image DoItemGeneration (Const)

untick the Const check box on the function

Also he doesnt send that node anywhere so skip it for now unless he comes back to it.

Get AIController | Unreal Engine Documentation

it exists

There’s no detail panel options for the DoltemGeneration function.

Ya that green version comes up, but the blue version he’s using doesn’t. Maybe there’s a round-about-way of appling the green version further down the video, I don’t know.

im pretty sure it should have a details panel tho, if you select the function itself in the function list on the left, there should be a details panel somewhere, you are using an older version though im 5.1.1. But it must have those options!

Functions | Unreal Engine 4.27 Documentation

Try locating those and set them to public, and make sure pure is unticked

If a squish these together so you can see…

What about this?

does that button expose the const tick box? should be under advanced maybe?

These are the only class settings there are.

well it looks unticked on the Generate Const Class

When you click on the error what does it show?

What version of Unreal is it so i can look into it?
Oh did you open the function THEN click class defaults?
you must be inside the function graph!

I have clicked and opened everything every which way, as far as I can tell. lol. It will be something so stupid in the end…it always is.

Its definatley a Const funciton it says at the top, it has to have the option to change it somewhere. Did you make the function from scratch? or was it imported?

So “we” fixed the error by changing “FindAiPawn” to a local variable. So at least now I can play/simulate. But they still have that “get ai controller” node in use. And now I can’t even get the other green ai controller node to come up. lol.

I’m trying to skip around the video to see if this is solved some how but it’s brutal, like a hour and a half video and only ten minutes of it are blueprint work.

good stuff, so the green one you may have to untick the context sensitive when you right click and search

Get AIController

Use the correct caps and single space may help.

Its passive so no execute nodes so plug it into the correct input wherever it goes and the run the exec to the next node it would go to “IF” it were connected

Cool cool, I’ll construct ahead a bit and see if I can make something work, but at least now I can play to see what works or not.

Will update when I know more. Thanks!

1 Like

Basically I just kept building backwards and forced the green ai controller node at the end. It worked, kinda, but I didn’t get the result they did in the end so I can’t really know if that or something else is the problem.