Making a cave level in Unreal Engine

Hi, I’m very new to UE, trying to make a cave level by stacking rocks. Is that a good way to do it?

I’ve found that I can’t get close to the rock walls though, the collisions are keeping the character away.
Unreal Engine: Creating a cave level

that’s a valid method.

use alt+c to show collisions in the viewport.

You likely have simplified collision setup for those rocks. You could either change them to complex, or change the method that the simplified collisions are generated by. Check out “collisions” in the UE documentation for info how to do that.

1 Like

That is a valid method, but placing individual meshes is rather inefficient. It would be better to model the cave separately, and then enable complex collision. Regardless, here is the Doc page on how to set up simplified collision.

1 Like

I have used so many rocks to make that cave, would switching them to complex create an issue?

Try it and see :slight_smile:

You could give this pack a go: UE4 - Luos's Free Rocks & Caves it should give you some content to made some decent caves :slight_smile:

No, probably not. As long as you have no code connected to it, probably. In fact, it’ll probably give you a decent boost in FPS (5-25 frames I’d say, depending on the level, your computer, and everything else in the game). I know i optimized my procedural level generation to a point of only 5 fps drop when the level spawns in real time. When you have a >120 fps game, it’s a pretty good deal.