Major stuttering issue

Hello, I am experiencing a major stutter issue on the latest Unreal Engine version and don’t know what could be causing it. It’s been driving me insane! I reinstalled UE yesterday, and the last time I used UE was back before the release of UE5, and back then the engine ran fine. I have a 4070S with 80GB of ram, and all my games and apps run flawlessly on ultra settings, so I don’t know why UE gives me such a headache. At first, I thought it was a tick issue, so I created a new project to test it out. However, without adding anything, the stutter is back. The only way to temporarily fix it is to restart UE, but even then, it only runs fine for about five minutes before running poorly again. Some people suggested turning off the UDP messaging transport, but that didn’t help either.

UPDATE: I uninstalled and reinstalled UE5 and it still stutters.
showcasae

That looks and sounds quite frustrating. You wouldn’t expect an engine to stutter before you’ve even done anything. Some profiling might be needed to figure out what’s going on.

Probably the easiest way to get started with that is by using the detailed stat option.

In the top left of the editor, you’ll find a hamburger menu (three horizontal lines. It’s a little arrow in my screenshot, taken in Unreal Engine 4.27), if you then go to stat > Engine > Detailed, you should see some more text in the viewport with timing information.

Looking at the video this might go too fast, so you might want to go through it frame by frame in a recorded video if you have to.

If that doesn’t show anything obvious, you may want to look into the other stats commands, or the profiler in the Session Frontend.

I’m sorry that my advice basically boils down to: “uh, here go do this thing that people usually only have to get into once their project gets a bit bigger”, but I haven’t encountered this issue before, but I did want to give you a direction to help you figure things out.

Get some hardware monitor and see GPU temperatures in real time. Unreal loves to run without VSync which usually pushes card to extreme FPS.

Hi everyone,

I recently encountered the same stuttering and erratic FPS changes in Unreal Engine 5 using my AMD RX 7900 XT, even in a default project without any modifications. Thanks, @Nawrot ! Your suggestion to set an FPS limit worked perfectly for me.

Here’s exactly what I did to solve it:

1. Open your project in Unreal Engine.
  2. Navigate to Edit > Project Settings > Engine > General Settings.
  3. In the Framerate section, enable the Use Fixed Frame Rate option and set a stable frame rate that your system can consistently maintain.

After applying these settings, the performance in my editor became much smoother, and the FPS fluctuations stopped.

1 Like

Dude, you literally saved me. When this issue first came up, it literally devastated my workflow and my peace of mind for days. Everything I tried did not work, until I discovered your post. When I checked the section you mentioned it turned out that none of the two options (smooth nor fixed framerate) were ticked. You are a savior. God bless you my man. Your method worked flowlessly.