Main Menu Problem, help please

Hi guys, so I created Main Menu, I added buttons, images etc… I added everything that Main Menu concludes but for some reason I can’t open him from the beginning if you know what I mean. To be more precise, I can open Main Menu in editor viewport, and he is working perfectly there. Is there anyway I can start the game from the start not just the level that i opened currently in ue4 editor. I want the game to start from opening credits so I can test that everything is working. I changed game default map in project settings as well, I tried even launch button after play in new window button and the same thing happens, it’s opening only the level im currently working on, for example if im working on level 1 and press play or launch its going to open level 1 but if im working on main menu then and only then it will open the main menu. Before I forget i did try opening it in standalone mode as well (same problem). Can you help me please

It needs to be an empty level ( black ), that loads the menu. Then, make that your default level.

If you hover over the “Play” button in editor you will get a tooltip stating “Play this level in the active level viewport”. That button will not account for your Editor Startup or Game default map, it will simply play the open the level.

Refer to this: Change Default Levels | Unreal Engine Documentation

This will control what your packaged game starts as, and your editor defaults to when the project is next open. For testing the menu to game level transition, you should open the main menu level, and press Play in the editor from there. You can package your project and test that the configured start map is the level as well, but this is not tested via editor.

1 Like

Hi, thank you for your answer, I already tried that but it doesnt work. But I found a solution though.

1. Packaging the game

or

1. right click your .uproject (not in epic games, you need to find the in the file) and click “play game”

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

Hi, thank you for your answer, I already tried that but it doesnt work. But I found a solution though. 1. Packaging the game

or

right click your .uproject (not in epic games, you need to find the in the file) and click “play game”

Thank you so much for your help :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank you so much :slight_smile:

No problem! Please mark as answer if you feel this answered your question :slight_smile:

Nope. Based on a udemy class I’m taking, you need to create a new Game Mode. Your game is starting at your level instead of the main menu because the default game mode is set to the one that your level uses. (and your main menu doesn’t override that)

So, create a new Game Mode: Right click in some appropriate folder, new blueprint class, game mode base, call it something like GM_Main_Menu. Save All.

Back in your main menu level, next to the Details panel click on the World Settings tab. (If the World Settings tab is not visible, make it visible by going to Window, in the Level Editor section: click on World Settings.)

In the World Settings tab, find Game Mode, set Game Mode Override to the game mode we just created earlier.

You might also have to go into Project Settings, Project, Maps and Modes, and set the Default GameMode to your MainMenu one. And maybe muck with the Default Maps as well.

This was in UE 5.1 for me, hopefully other engine versions are similar enough. As usual with Unreal, it’s obscure and impossible to figure out until it’s “just click here, there and enable that but disable those” obvious.

This is the way. (I think… I’m still kinda noobish)