Magnetic Field Toolkit

Magnetic Field Toolkit
Tools and features to leverage Android mobile device magnetometer sensor and functionality.
Marketplace | Documentation | Release Notes | Android App

Overview
Integrate magnetometer sensor support to your Android projects. Companion textures, materials, static meshes, and blueprints themed on magnetic field. Magnetometer compatible with Android mobile platforms. Content compatible with all other platforms. Code plugin and content pack:

Technical Details
Features:

• Magnetometer sensor support plugin for Android mobile platform.
  • Magnetic field related macros, library, blueprints, infrastructure, and interfaces.

Code Modules:

• Magnetic field toolkit plugin module: Runtime plugin, top level plugin container.
  • Magnetic field sensor module: Runtime plugin, platform independent API and blueprint interface.
  • Magnetic field sensor Android implementation module: Runtime plugin, Android platform dependent implementation.

Details:

• Number of Blueprints: 8
  • Number of C++ Classes: 6
  • Network Replicated: No
  • Supported Development Platforms: Win32, Win64
  • Supported Target Build Platforms: Android, Win32, Win64
  • Documentation: Magnetic Field Toolkit on the Unreal Engine Wiki.
  • Example Project: Overview and example included in the plugin content and demo on the Google Play store.
  • Important/Additional Notes: The magnetometer sensor support is only available for the Android platform. Content is compatible with other platforms.

You may also like the Location Toolkit pack by the same author. Thank You!
Marketplace | Documentation | Release Notes | Android App

Magnetic Field Toolkit Update: March 5, 2018
Hello,
The toolkit has now been submitted to the Epic Games’ Marketplace reviewers after thorough review of the plugin code/content and submission guidelines. The release notes for this first official release are updated in our documentation. I expect a small number of iterations for the submission before it reaches the Marketplace. Similarly to the Location Toolkit pack, this pack will see regular updates from your feedback, feature requests, and suggestions. Don’t hesitate to subscribe to this thread for continuous information or directly contact me at cerise.software@gmail.com.
Thank you,
Fen

Magnetic Field Toolkit Update: March 8, 2018
Hello,
I am pleased to announce that the Magnetic Field Toolkit plugin pack is available on the Unreal Engine marketplace for purchase!
It is my dearest hope this plugin will allow you to leverage magnetometer / compass sensor on Android platforms to create wonderful and exciting games and applications!
Have fun,
Fen

Do you plan on adding support for IOS? Or is it just not possible at the time? I would definitely consider purchasing the plugin if it has IOS support as well!

Hello vle07,
I would really love to add IOS support. I actually plan to do it. Unfortunately the programming barrier for IOS development is high: I need a mac for development and an iPhone/iPad for testing. I do not have the means to acquire those items at this time. I am actively seeking the hardware. I am considering alternatives too.
I will be sure to update this thread when IOS support is in place. Until then you will see updates and addition textures, materials, meshes, and blueprints related to magnetic field.

Magnetic Field Toolkit Update: March 18, 2018

Hello,
Here is an update on the work in progress for the Magnetic Field Toolkit plugin and content:

• Added compass static mesh, materials, and textures.
  • Added cardinal point enumerations.
  • Separated the presentation pack, part of the kit, free.
  • Improved the overall presentation quality.
  • Update to Unreal Engine 4.19
  • Improved real world magnetic field blueprint.
  • Improved widget/actor for the text magnetic field presenter.

A marketplace update is submitted and should go live on the marketplace in the next few days. Subscribe to this thread for upcoming updates.

Magnetic Field Toolkit Update: March 27, 2018
Hello,
A quick note to let you know the Magnetic Field Toolkit plugin and content is now compatible with Unreal Engine 4.19.0.
I am now working on updating the Android app. I have also made headway with IOS but still a while to go. Stay tuned and let me know what you think!
Thank you,
Fen

Magnetic Field Toolkit: April 18, 2018 Update
Hello,
A quick update on recent additional development for the Magnetic Field Toolkit plugin pack. The next version to be released will see at least the following updates:

• Migrated and tested to 4.19.1.
  • Plugin support for IOS.
  • A demo published for iOS.
  • Various minor improvements and fixes.

There is a backlog of features and improvements that will also get added. More on that later. If you guys have a need for a specific feature or want an area/theme/topic to receive more focus, you know what to do, just contact me as many of you have done so far.
Keep rocking!
Fen

Is it possible to define absolute device orientation with the magnetometer combined with accelerometer/gravity readings, so that pitch, yaw, and roll are defined with respect to magnetic north and the earth’s gravitational field? If so, would you be willing to add a blueprint variable that contains the rotation vector of the absolute device orientation? Also, how quickly do the magnetometer readings usually respond? Thanks!

Hello vle07 and thanks for reaching out,
It is absolutely possible to get the absolute device orientation. I am adding this node to the feature backlog. Much useful for VR applications.
The magnetometer readings are instantaneous from the human point of view. Very small windowed average from the hardware. Some jitter though. Nothing smoothing can’t solve. Download the demo at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.CeriseSoftware.MagneticFieldToolkit and you can see for yourself the responsivnes. :smiley:
Best,
Fen

Hi Fen,
Will you still be updating this plugin to support IOS and to add the absolute device orientation node? It seems like you’re the only one who actually knows how to work with these magnetometer readings with UE4. I’m concerned that the magnetometer readings might be too noisy, which is probably why no other VR development kits use that sensor. Thanks!

Hi vle07,
I’ve been in touch with Epic about releasing the next version for 4.20 which includes a partial, non-functional prototype for iOS. Apart from the communication breakdown with Epic (…), I am in dire need of a good Swift/iOS developers as my attempts to work with iOS have been incomplete so far. Quite disappointing. I had posted announcement for a paid project/developer, but no good candidate joined. I continue to work on it but Apple has specificities.
With respect to the noise, I suspect a good low-pass function could help, with some latency (0.3 s ?).
Right now my priority is 4.20.
Would you happen to know a good Swift/iOS dev? Best!

Thanks for the update. Unfortunately, I don’t know any good Swift/iOS devs. Apple does a good job keeping people out with their development fees and hardware requirements. Best of luck with the 4.20 update!

Magnetic Field Toolkit: November 20, 2018 Update
Hello,
Magnetic Field Toolkit for Unreal Engine 4.21 is now available in the Epic Games marketplace and launcher. Enjoy!

This version sees the following updates:

• Unreal Engine 4.21 compatibility update.

Feel free to reach out for questions or support at [EMAIL=“cerise.software@gmail.com”]cerise.software@gmail.com
Thank you for being an awesome community,
Fen

Hi Fen,
do you have any news regarding the iOS implementation ? Thank you.

Hello Seim2k,
Unfortunately I do not have a timeline for the iOS implementation. I seek an experienced Swift developer’s help.

Magnetic Field Toolkit: April 13, 2019 Update
Hello,
Magnetic Field Toolkit for Unreal Engine 4.22 is now available in the Epic Games marketplace and launcher. Enjoy!

• Unreal Engine 4.22 compatibility update.

Feel free to reach out for questions or support at [EMAIL=“cerise.software@gmail.com”]cerise.software@gmail.com
Fen

Magnetic Field Toolkit: September 22, 2019 Update
Hello,
Magnetic Field Toolkit for Unreal Engine 4.23.0 is now available in the Epic Games marketplace and launcher. Enjoy!

• Unreal Engine 4.23.0 compatibility update.

Fen

Magnetic Field Toolkit: January 16, 2020 Update
Hello,
Magnetic Field Toolkit for Unreal Engine 4.24 is now available in the Epic Games marketplace and launcher. Enjoy!

• Unreal Engine 4.24.1 compatibility update.

Fen

Hello Magnetic Field Toolkit Users,

A quick update: I’ll be releasing a toolkit update for 4.25 and with its new features soon.

Thank you,
Fen