Magic Mushrooms - Spellar Performance Unreal Engine Challenge

Title: Magic Mushrooms

Screenshot of the project:
MagicMushrooms

Link to the video:

Student Submission: Yes
(Somehow I can not manage to add a student tag to this post)

Credits to sourced content:
Background Music “Deep Space Exploration” from: https://www.purple-planet.com

Optional

• Did you use Houdini?
    Yes. All 3D assets are made fully procedurally with the magic power of Houdini. For example, the mushroom generator creates different organic shapes of mushrooms and the cave generator that creates cave tunnels and the centre hall.

• Description
    All shaders including mushroom texture patterns and vertex animation are all made from scratch in UE, and used Niagara for the swimming fish and the flying dragonflies.

• Engine version
    Unreal Engine 5.1.1

Breakdown

• Procedural modelling in Houdini
    MushroomGenerator
    The cave system was made based on the same mushroom generator combining more meshes.

• UE WPO & Niagara
    FishAnim
    FlydragonAnim
    SwimmingFish

• UE WPO & ProceduralFoliage
    Spawning variations of mushrooms using UE ProceduralFoliage tool and controlling the vertex animation using MaterialParameterCollection.
    MushroomsWPO

4 Likes

I can’t find this sub if I use the tag “SPELLARPERFORMANCE”, also, it’s a student sub and there is no tag for that.

@SkyeEden I’m sorry to bother you, but can you take a look?

EDIT:
+1 Vote because:

1. Complex scene with many details
  2. Many different techniques
  3. Excellent use of unreal engine for content production (“texture patterns and vertex animation are all made from scratch in UE”)

I really like your work here, I can totally see the passion and effort you put into it. It’s very impressive when you watch it in 4K, unfortunately the preview on this page doesn’t show many little details. In my opinion it could very well be used as cutscene for a game but youtube totally killed it :rofl:.

Great work and welcome to the community!

3 Likes

Hi~ Klian, I really appreciate your feedback. Thanks a lot! :pray:
I can never stop myself from being obsessed with using the power of Houdini+UnrealEngine to catch dreams… :joy:

2 Likes

Greetings @Luo.ch !

How imaginatively fascinating! I feel as if we were chosen to be taken on a guided journey to a secret, magic mushroom fairy cave. (Even the cave is shaped like a mushroom!) :mushroom:

The lighting and texturing of the underwater mushrooms made them look like electric jellyfish! Was this the intended effect? I love the parallel, as some jellyfish species do look like dangerous, living mushrooms.

The movement of the mushrooms in the cave along with their independent displays of light revealed a magical dance of power and oneness. It gives the beautiful flower effect, wherein you see something so beautiful that you want to cherish it by taking it with you, but you know that once you remove the flower from its root, its beauty will start to fade.

Magnificent use of color, and to think that you made all the patterns and animations from scratch! Kudos for such a detailed presentation! Clearly the result of hard work and dedication.

What are you studying at university? Did you have any experience in your field of study prior to joining an institution?

1 Like

Hi~ I really appreciate your detailed feedback! Yes, the parallel was intended haha~ I generated a few variations of assets and named them “flower”, “tree”, “jellyfish” etc.
Actually, there are still many other variations whose shapes look similar to other plants or creatures in nature. I intended to generate as many variations as possible because the fungi kingdom is fascinating and beyond our imagination. However, the time was quite limited and I didn’t have enough time to prepare shaders for all variations, but I will continue on it in the future :laughing:
I always prefer making everything from scratch even though it will cost much more time. It’s like cooking, preparing every material on my own can have total control over the result and can learn a lot from the experience. :cook:t3:
Right now I’m registered as a digital game dev student at university. I got degrees in traditional fine arts in the past and I used to develop real-time applications for art museums.
Thanks again! :grinning:

1 Like