After a long but a really fun learning process of Unreal Engine 4 I can finally show some work-in-progress prototype for the little game I’ve been developing in my free time.
“Machine Instinct” is a challenging side-scrolling survival/score-chasing single-level action game set in a Dark Sci-Fi setting inspired by early/mid 90s era films and video-games.
YOUR GOAL: Hold your position at the “H”-point, destroy anything that approaches you and survive as long as you can while taking advantage of the weaponry/upgrades and resources of the platform. Compete with your friends or against the players on Steam for precious seconds and a better time score! Test your reflexes and determination!
I’m very grateful to Unreal Engine for the Blueprint System that allowed me, a non-programmer to make a functioning game prototype! I created designs/3D models/textures using pretty much the same workflow I utilize for most of my 3D design work and programmed the logic of the game using Blueprints learning about it mostly from UE4 Youtube channel. Some of the effects I created from scratch using Cascade and some purchased at the Marketplace. Andrei Orehov did the Rigging/Animation for characters and some effects as well, with some of the robot animations originated from Motion Capture and some created by Andrei from scratch. I made the robotic characters as pre-rendered sprites which also helped to create the style and feel I was going for. Alexandr Bulgarov composed the soundtrack.
Gameplay Features so far:
- Face 9 vicious enemy robot types
- Use 360-degree gyro-stabilized dual-shot plasma rifle with built-in overcharge mode and high-frequency grenades against your enemies
- Earn $ and collect Sky Plasma Units to acquire vital upgrades: Missile Launcher, EMP Drone and Jet Pack
- Make yourself hard to kill by enabling Translocator teleport device and purchase additional Health Points
- Survive long enough and pick up Mecha Werewolf Transformation mode to unleash hell on your enemies!
The current plan is to release “Machine Instinct” for PC through Steam. The game is still in its rough prototype stage and there is a ton of things to fix, improve and add such as a better camera, some animations, UI, lighting, etc.
Below is a gameplay test, to learn more about the game please go to https://www.machineinstinct.game/