Mac Metal & SM5

Hi
Obviously, UE4 now has Mac Metal support with experimental implementation of SM5 available at a simple command line “-metalsm5”

But has anyone tried it? I can’t get displacement to work at all. This is also partly because I don’t know where to type this fancy new command… I’ve tried typing it in the command line tool called by ~, in editor, in play standalone game, in PIE. None worked.

I guess they meant something like, adding -metalsm5 to a Windows shortcut to UnrealEditor.exe. I have no idea how to do this or how to put this in English that google could use… So, please someone help…

you would need to launch the editor from the command line. So I expect this would work…

Open Terminal and type
cd /Users/Shared/UnrealEngine/4.11/Engine/Binaries/Mac/UE4Editor.app/Contents/MacOS <enter>
./UE4Editor -metalsm5 <enter>

Hi
Obviously, UE4 now has Mac Metal support with experimental implementation of SM5 available at a simple command line “-metalsm5”

But has anyone tried it? I can’t get displacement to work at all.
[/QUOTE]

Metal does not support hull & domain shader stages so displacement effects that rely on them still won’t work.

Cheers mate! I tried that and it doesn’t seem to be working, partly because what pitbull wrote below; partly because when I play in standalone game, the title still says metal_SM4

Okay, so is Anadin’s method the right way to enable metalsm5? I’ve tried that, but since displacement, which is probably the only sm5 effect I know and might need, doesn’t work, I don’t know if it’s just not updated in the standalone game window’s titlebar or I still didn’t activate that properly. I have unchecked everything except the Metal SM5 (experimental) in project settings.

Probably should’ve post this in the Answerhub…

Update:
Just tested again, opening in terminal seems to be a valid way to enable metalsm5. Just tried dragging a million textures into the material editor and compile, and it says [SM5] exceeding texture sampler limit of 16, which is exactly the limit when using SM4… At least now I know how to enable it…

cool, glad I could help :slight_smile: