Mac can't generate xcode project files

I use Macos 11.6.4, XCode13.2, Unreal Engine 4.27.2(download from epic games launcher).

Right click on the .uproject file and click on Generate XCode project, it will open the terminal but do nothing.

If I write command to run .sh to generate xcode project, it works. But it is too stupid.

I have exactly same problem!

I tried manay ways and can not solve this problem.
But finally I found that Rider for Unreal can automatically generate xcode project when you modify any code, so I choose to use Rider instead of XCode.

How does rider open the project??? no sln??

Rider can open *.uproject file on mac. Or just open the project folder in rider. It will recognize.

sh “/Users/Shared/Epic Games/UE_5.0/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Mac/GenerateProjectFiles.sh” -project=“/Path/To/Project/TestProj/TestProj.uproject” -game

this should do it from terminal.

5 Likes

what if my project is on another external hard drive?

what would the code look like for that?

Just some small notes for people using this command. It works for me, but I’ve found that I need to remove the quotation marks. Maybe that’s obvious to most folks, but wasn’t to me at first.

Also, you can use a relative path for the .sh file (i.e ./path/from/current/directory/GenerateProjectFiles.sh) but I was only able to make the project path work if starting the path from /Users (i.e. /Users/myuser/TestProj/TestProj.uproject)

3 Likes

THANK YOU!!!

This worked for me…

sh /Users/Shared/Epic\ Games/UE_5.2/Engine/Build/BatchFiles/Mac/GenerateProjectFiles.sh -project=/Users/chilton/Documents/Unreal\ Projects/SeaPluPlus/SeaPluPlus.uproject -game