M1 MacBook video out how to?

I am a bit of a newbie with UE5. I have a scene built with a camera and I need to output the camera’s view live to a HDMI or sdi for virtual production.

I am running a M1 max MacBook Pro and it runs UR5 just fine. I can’t figure out a good way to get the camera video out. I bought a BlackMagic UltraStudio 4k Mini and it does not work with UE5. Epic does not say it does, but some users have had success with non-listed cards. The only cards that are approved are all pcie cards for desktop systems. There is nothing for laptops that I have seen. (The UltraStudio 4k does work on my system, it plays video with the BlackMagic app.) I do have both the “BlackMagic” and “media framework utilities” Plug-ins enabled.

Question 1 - When I go to the content drawer/ media/ I do not see the option for “BlackMagic Media Output” like I see on some YouTube videos. Is UE5 not giving me the option because it is unsupported or is my plug-in somehow not working. Any thoughts?

My M1 has a 4k HDMI output. I was able to play the game in a “new editor window” and then drag the window to the 2nd monitor. And this worked but unfortunately it did not include the camera controls like lens selection and depth of field.

Question 2 - Is there a way to get the camera view sent to my HDMI port or a separate window I can drag to a 2nd monitor on my HDMI port?

Question 3 - Any other ideas how I can get the camera video out?

Thank you!
Rich

2 Likes

Hi there,

Were you able to use the UltraStudio 4k Mini at all? I was thinking to get a unit for a laptop system as well. Very flexible system if it works one day.

From what I can see, the AJA i/o 4K plus is supported and is mobile.

Hi theothertoday,

No, I got no response and no reply from Epic. I never got it to work, so I ended up returning the hardware back in May 2022. There have been some UE5 updates since them. Perhaps it works now? If you find out please let me know!

Did you ever try the AJA I/o 4k plus? did you use an expansion chassis?

Thank you,
Rich