LYRA new animation layer retargeting issue, floating feet

Hi!

I’ve been struggling with adding new linked anim layer to the Lyra starter project for a while.

For the context, the animations I try to retarget are the ones from the Ghost Samurai pack. From UE4 Mannequin to UE5 Manny.

I have encountered an issue where character’s feet are floating above the ground, see images below:

Original, out of the box, Lyra Character with unchanged ABP_UnarmedAnimLayers (Idle Animation):

Original, out of the box, Lyra Character with updated ABP_UnarmedAnimLayers. Idle animations changed to the retargeted ones:

Updated ABP_UnarmedAnimLayers looks like this (these two animations are the only things I’ve changed):

Now for the retargeter. You can see that the animations are retargeted correctly:

However a closer look at the feet reveals that UE5 Manny’s feet are indeed higher than they should be:

I thought that this issue might be related to the one described in this post: Are offsets supported within the IK Retarget? . So I tried it out, and modified the RTG_UE4Manny_UE5Manny by adding the static offset in the Z axis to both of the Leg chains:

This caused the legs to be aligned perfectly:

But as you might;ve guessed, this didn’t work out. No luck. the floating feet are still visible no matter how big the offset is.

So here I am, stuck with this issue for another day straight, hoping someone might come up with a solution. I would really appreciate any help in this. These floating feet are driving me crazy.

3 Likes

Hi there,
This deviation seems to be caused at runtime. Have you seen a Foot IK Control Rig for Lyra? I know there’s one for the TPS Template. Also you want to check if Manny’s skeletal mesh has an active “post-process animation blueprint”, in one or another, you could try to add feet offset values.

I hope that makes sense.

Hey @Ysgravor,

Thank you for your analysis. I am encountering the same problem. Have you found any solution for this?

With kind regards,

Eric

1 Like

Hey,

I’ve also been struggling with this issue for months and have found a solution.

A quick fix, instead of using the CopyPose ABP, you can use a custom retarget pose from mesh ABP and offset the feet. But this will cause issues if you’re using a mix of UE4 & UE5 animations and is probably not good for performance.

The way to fix it properly, is to edit with the FK rig in sequencer, you can delete IK foot key frames and snap them to the foot bone key frames using the snapper tool.

CT Game has a tutorial here from 2:35 : https://youtu.be/VmaAeiA3pLI?si=ossui8ty4slexgWN&t=154

You don’t need to edit with FK twice like in the video because the bug is fixed. It takes a long time though because you need to do it for each animation. I hope there’s an easier way or epic could add a quick fix.