Lumen GI and Reflections feedback thread

It does exist and it’s enabled via a Cvar (need to find which one). For lumen reflections at least, standalone RT isn’t being maintained OC.

Also, trying to build UE 5.4 RN (the accumulated featureset and improvements is begging to be tested), and builds keep failing because the file size is just absurd. The last build failed after several hours because 310 gigabytes of storage wasn’t enough. If anyone has tips on cutting bloat I would love to hear it.

Also,

That’s epic’s official guidance. I have never had a UE build finish in less than 8 hours, and I have a modern 8-core.

I haven’t built the editor in a while (specifically because it takes up so much disk space…) but 5.3 took me about ~70 minutes on my 3900x.

One of the pieces of advice I saw on twitter a while back was to ensure you were building from an SSD. I don’t actually know how much difference this makes as I’ve never done an A/B comparison, but in my case I’m using a gen3 NVME drive.

My files are on a quite fast gen4 SSD, I forget the brand but it got very good reviews. There’s not a bad chance I’m just doing something amazingly wrong then, as I know just enough to build the engine and that’s about it. I’m working with a i7 9700k (due for an upgrade in the near future in all likelihood).

yeah. i found it and it’s looking good.

r.Lumen.SampleFog 1

on this build topic: not sure what to post. it is a chonky piece of code, yes. but if you’re into testing new features you gotta deal with it.

also… iirc the long compile is only the first time you generate all the precompiled headers. it rebuilds faster. done that back in 5.3. and… well… i haven’t had an luck or code experience to fix the build at this point in time. not gonna pre test 5.4. it is what it is.

That may be true, I just feel like it’s been creeping up in size in pretty significant ways. When I first built a version pre-5.0 it was something like 180GB, getting upto 310+ GB is just a significant growth.

How intelligent is the samplefog btw? It it a 1-1 match for the heightfog?

not really a 1 to1. on the light side it’s good. on the shadow side (backlit) foliage gets a lil dark. i cheesed it with some cover up fog (on the right). also slightly discolored in the center. not sure what i done wrong there.

looks pretty good tho.

2 Likes

Since it’s just distance fog it would make sense that it would introduce glowing, although I’m not actually sure if there’s additional attenuation calculations or something more complex they’re doing with the volumetric GI system.

Also, build failed, just wasn’t in a state to be built. Clocked in at 367 GB.

Hi,

Anyone having issues when rendering sequences with Lumen?

I still must investigate it deeper to elaborate a report, after a work I must ship, but I want to comment earlier (now) that I have seen discrepancies between what you see in real time and what you get when Movie Render queue rendered:

• Walls have like a different shadowing (worse when rendered).
  • Convolution bloom seems to be disabled.

In addition, but not related only to MRQ:

• Translucent High Quality reflections only works when Lumen GI is enabled. With baked lighting, glasses will show colored ‘christmass’ glitches.
  • Ray traced AO doesn’t work fine with translucent surfaces, making them almost black.

I have tried with my custom render preset but also with a basic, almost empty one. And with and without AA override (samples).

Someone else?

I will wait until 5.4 to confirm if some of the issues persist and make a detailed report.

By the way, I’m quite excited about the next update! I have compiled the source and noticed:

• Corrected bugs in translucents and improved HQ reflections
  • Fixed a short-AO issue, where some black spots could appear, specially in room’s corners
  • Less noisy reflections
  • Some new options added directly inside the PPV: Screen Traces checkbox, Max Roughness and Max Refraction bounces.

Great work!

Can’t wait to combine this + ray reconstruction, to totally denoise the reflections (I think this is the weakest point for ArchViz projects).

2 Likes

:partying_face:

1 Like

Really! Source works now? I tried building it when the team went on hiatus and it kept failing. It is so good to hear that these fixes and improvements exist! This will be wonderful. Stochastic direct lighting is one of the headline features I’m really excited for, and I can’t wait to see if the quality will be acceptable enough to replace some of the far more limited raster methods.

Yes, it does!

How can I check that kind of lighting? (I’m not sure what it is)

Stochastic lighting is Basically epic’s version of RTXDI, so it selects which lights to shadow via ray-tracing and can (theoretically) scale up to an arbitrary # of lights at a fixed cost. As for how to enable it, I don’t know, bc I’ve never had a successful build of an engine version with the feature set.

The point of the technology is basically to have a local lighting solution that’s cheaper than VSMs but better than regular shadowmaps, and can scale up to many lights. I’d say it’s sort of nanite for direct lighting, but that comes with with so many caveats and exceptions that it’s a bad analogy.

the 5.4 preview builds, rn? i’d not mind a looksie. which commit i gotta build? do tell… :slight_smile:

Sounds great!

Is it maybe related with the Restir cvars I mentioned time ago? (I think you talked about this after that)

@glitchered , I built it yesterday from main branch. I usually don’t have problems when compiling from source.

1 Like

Oh, wow!

I see it’s not Restir (it still doesn’t work), but tested stochastic and it’s so promising!

I have enabled it and went from 34FPS to 47FPS in a demandant archviz scene, with minor visual difference. Shadows are something like slightly more blurry in their edges, but the worse point is that it will be more noticeable in thin objects’ shadows (like the legs of a chair), looking a little pixelated. I haven’t found a way to increse the resolution or sampling; maybe it’s still not available:

The best option (for this, specifically), for the moment, is to increase the screen percentage (100%):

Without stochastic, but ray traced:

2 Likes

@glitchered @jblackwell its building fine for me as well for the last couple of months (Im usually testing new builds every weak or so)

Mak sure that you have NET 6 and all the correct Visual studio installer components checked

2 Likes

i’m not a pro, but dude… i’m not an amateur either. i have everything installed i need. (not just for unreal coding)

pretty sure i’ve just been unlucky and picked the dailies that did not build.

(i’m out of space rn anyway. custom 5.3.2 build taking it. gotta stay for some shader dev for an eventual future project.)

1 Like

I do think I just got unlucky in this case, as to @glitchered’s point, not every version is guaranteed to build, especially with some of the fundumental changes they’ve been making. I’m happy to retry it, but it’s hard to get the 370-ish GB I need in order to actually build it successfully. If anyone knows any way to cut down on bloat, I would be grateful.

my 5.3.2 custom build takes “only” 230 GB. (you gotta laugh typing ‘only’ 230 xD) it’s from the “release” channel tho. is the main branch more bloated? i don’t remember how big the 5.3 daily build was, i compiled back then. i only build the UE5 project, not the whole solution. also development editor config is basicly the “release” build without additional debug bloat. you sure you used that one?