Lumen GI and Reflections feedback thread

I don’t think that is what is happening but (I believe) you can increase the SDF (“detail”?) tracing distance using the cvar: r.Lumen.DiffuseIndirect.MaxMeshSDFTraceDistance

What I think is actually happening is that the accurate reflections are coming from screen traces and if the trace misses then it falls back to tracing the surface cache, which is low quality. Could be totally wrong though, I don’t know anything.

In the livestream Daniel Wright mentioned you can improve the reflection quality by putting the magic number 4.0 into the Lumen Reflections quality in your post process.

I’ve noticed however, that it only seems to improve reflections in areas that are directly lit.

Top: Single spotlight
Bottom: Addition of a large rect light that fills the room with light

Still some issues though, such as the bright glowing lines on the edges of meshes. Not entirely sure what is going on there …and it still won’t match SSR, so if you want a seamless result you’ll want to disable the screen traces using the following cvar: r.Lumen.Reflections.ScreenTraces 0

Whatever graphical sorcery is being used to get a clean result from the surface cache doesn’t seem to be done for reflections at the moment.

2 Likes