Download

Lumberyard Engine

I stumbled upon an article talking about Amazon’s new game engine ‘Lumberyard’](Fully Customizable Game Engine - Amazon Lumberyard -Amazon Web Services)…It mentions using the rendering tech from CryEngine and they offer the full source code all for free (apparently)…

It looks like they plan on monetising by charging for the AWS services that you incorporate into your games.

What are peoples views on this, has anyone taken it for a test drive yet?

From what I can see, it doesn’t look like they’ve done all that much to improve or change the engine, and their documentation is really poor. I’m guessing this will perform about the same as Autodesk Stingray unless they want to put a bunch of development into it.

This is the best thing happend for a while. This is a riddicoulously great deal. Will be texting it. Downloading now.

:smiley: :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

So this is essentially CryEngine, with added features and with full source code for free? Doesn’t sound so bad really…
However saying that, I’m not even going to try it myself as I’ve invested far too much time into UE4.

there is only 2 things I can say about it right now, 1: that’s one of the worst introduction videos I have ever seen, most of its just people babbling about stuff I don’t care about(like their own games) instead of the actual engine and I am not sure which features shown in the video are in the engine or other programs, 2: I cant find a proper features list which is just pants.

I wonder if Epic will look into doing something similar. They could partner with existing vendors like Google or Microsoft.

I agree the video and site is poor…

I did manage to find the user guide after following many hyperlinks:

https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/lumberyard-intro.html
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/developerguide/lumberyard-intro.html

These should give you some idea of the features…

Agree on the video.Why show so much zbrush/maya screens when they talk about the engine?I find the name Lumberyard kind of stupid.And is what darthviper said.Cryengine with a new name and some bug fixes.Same thing was with Trinigy vision engine>havok vision(dead since a few months), bitsquid>stingray.So i supose its becoming the new way of someone with cash to buy old engines and sell them with new names.

At least they will give the android and ios export for free…finally.
Offering the source code for me makes me think that they will hope that the community will extend and maintain the engine.Not them.Cryengine forums were always sad.Im not sure what to expect from this but somehow gives me more future confidence as amazon have more money than crytek and i suspect they will help promoting the games to the users.
But this will not happen overnight.Not sure what to expect form this one.

To be fair, it’s a lot more than that.

I recently went to a tech talk from a bunch of developers/engineers and there was a chap from Amazon discussing artificial intelligence, mentioning that Amazon are heavily invested in this field (mostly for their drone delivery, text and speech recognition projects) This makes me wonder if we’ll see some interesting advancements in video game AI…

This all occurred in a pub, therefore I got wasted and paid more attention to the hot women around me than the beautiful minds that were talking :confused:

I’m all for more engines being released, and it looks like Amazon has a good plan in motion, at least when it comes to having a out-of-the-box multiplayer solution.

I really hope they create some proper API documentation, as I’ve always thought that what CryEngine had was horrible, and also that they decide to overhaul the editor, as, to me at least, CryEngine had a very unfriendly editor and work pipeline.

UnrealEngine 4 is an amazing engine, and because of the amount of updated and community feedback/contribution, it will still be better in my eyes, at least for quite a while.

Took me a good while on the website to find which language would be used for programming in Lumberyard.
Assumed it was C++ but took some time to find that out for certain.
Looks interesting, might check it out.

You can also script in Lua and they have a visual scripting system similar to blueprints.

Im taking a look at it, the visual scripting system its the classic Flowgraph cryengine has, Lua scripting its as annoying as it allways was in cryengine, and the coding part still has pretty much nonexistant documentation.
Its Cryengine with amazon servers integration, a new asset pipeline that its actually not 100% retarded as it was, and little more. As allways, the main point its the really nice level editor with dynamic light. For the coders its quite hard to use.
Edit: just looked at it a bit more, the asset pipeline its still retarded. And only works on 3dsmax and maya. If you use ANY other software, you are out, guess they dont want blender or cinema4d or whatever else users using it. It uses its own exporters, with its own filetypes.
I guess FBX or collada or some other generic file importing is just too hard for them. At least it seems it compiles textures by itself, so at least you can edit the textures somewhere else than photoshop as it was before.

This is the real problem. I can figure out workarounds for code but a broken asset pipeline makes it basically useless. Can’t even make a walking simulator.

57.10 Acceptable Use; Safety-Critical Systems. Your use of the Lumberyard Materials must comply with the AWS Acceptable Use Policy. The Lumberyard Materials are not intended for use with life-critical or safety-critical systems, such as use in operation of medical equipment, automated transportation systems, autonomous vehicles, aircraft or air traffic control, nuclear facilities, manned spacecraft, or military use in connection with live combat. However, this restriction will not apply in the event of the occurrence (certified by the United States Centers for Disease Control or successor body) of a widespread viral infection transmitted via bites or contact with bodily fluids that causes human corpses to reanimate and seek to consume living human flesh, blood, brain or nerve tissue and is likely to result in the fall of organized civilization.

source: https://aws.amazon.com/it/service-terms/

Hahaha!!___

1. Two most advertised features are AWS and Twitch integration
  2. Comments disabled on promo video
  3. Everything free no royalties sounds too good to be true (It is)

That’s three strikes, out you go!

The elephant in the room here is what’s going to happen to CryEngine. It never got a lot of adoption (for good reason, IMHO), but now that Amazon is forking and distributing an “updated” version of the engine for free, you’ve got to wonder who would ever want to use the original engine.

They should have just partnered with UE and focus more on GameLift and the cloud service API. Setting up dedicated servers and whatever else goes with it for UE and trying to involve Steam is so convoluted with barely any documentation (from what I have researched). Imagine if GameLift could be a UE plugin. Setting up instances on EC2 is super easy and if the API could be part of a plugin, imagine how easy it would be to set up a multiplayer server.

I will be downloading this to see how easy it actually is compared to what they claim. I too have spent months coding in UE and would really wonder if the ease of multiplayer servers with GameLift would be worth it.