Lower commits frequency after July 2015

Hi guys,

I’m just wondering about commits stats provided by GitHub (https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/graphs/commit-activity). As i see after July 2015 number of commits became fewer ten times. What was happened?

Yeah. Noticed that too. They haven’t stopped working, for sure. Just holding their development cards closer to the vest. For whatever reasons. Not that I even could understand half of their C++ magic, but it is cool to see what they are working on. Just starting to get more of a: “This is for us (Epic) and this is for them (Subscribers)” feeling. Of course I am prone to conspiracy theories.

911hoax.com

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you know that the apparent drop in activity is not an indication of a change in our priorities with regard to development of Unreal Engine 4. We made a change to how commits to the Engine source code are handled internally. Instead of having every commit go directly into the Master branch, each department now has their own branch that they are working in, and which they are responsible for keeping stable. Periodically, these branches will be merged back into the Master branch, which should result in a more stable Master branch. Unfortunately these departmental branches are not yet mirrored over to GitHub. We are still working on straightening out some kinks in the new process, and will then determine the best way to make those new branches visible on GitHub.