Lost entire project!

Hi guys,

I am extremely new to this but seems something strange has happened. I was working on a project which I had saved and come back to multiple times with no issue. After a 3 hour session (that had just auto saved) I clicked the save button as I had before and exited normally. Came back to it a few hours later and the entire project is nowhere to be found! If I go into:

C:\Users\me\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject4\Content

I can find a .umap file and when I did a search in unreal projects I found a big list of what looks like autosave files and normal saves but no actual content.

Just wondering if this is user error (guessing with my noob level set to maximum it probably is) but I would love to find out what happened so I can avoid it in the future.

Thanks as always,

RB

-which engine version do you use?
-have you pressed “save all” before you exited the engine
-so when you open the project you cant see any content?
-you can restore some assets when you use the autosave files -> just copy them into the content folder :slight_smile:

THanks for the quick response. I am using 4.8.3 at the moment and yes I have been doing the save all after each session.

Its not actually showing in the my projects portion of the library tab of the launcher.

You mentioned I can restore some of the assets using the autosave files and excuse my noobishness but where would I copy those autosave files to in order to access them?

Thanks again :slight_smile:

RB

But can you see a uproject file in your C:\Users\me\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject4?
You just have to copy them into the content folder of your project -> C:\Users\me\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject4\Content :slight_smile:

Scuse the late reply. Yeah the project file was nowhere to be found only the save files. Either way I am going to put that one down to noobishness and move on.

On a slightly different yet related topic I am still extremely new to UE4 and have been following some really great tutorials which have been extremely helpful. The one thing they dont really cover which may have contributed to my lost project is the save structure and how it all works. Is there a guide that explains just the save structure? For instance Im a little confused as to why there is no save project only load project and what is the difference between a level and a project? I noticed that I saved one thing and then it was available in my content viewer.

I know this question probably sounds a little crazy but any help would be appreciated :slight_smile:

Thanks,

To add to the above another example of what is confusing me a little is I installed a texture pack and it replaced all of my projects with 3 versions of the sample project for the texture pack I installed. Not sure if that was because I installed the texture pack incorrectly or something but Im just a bit lost when it comes to this element of it. Again any help would be greatly appreciated.

narc1s sorry about your loss. At some stage we all lost work. So that this sort of crazy thing does not to happen again (no idea how it happened), learn GIT and sign up for a free account on Bitbucket. It’s private and free up to 5 people. Just exclude build folders and, saved and intermediate via git ignore.

If you’re on Windows TortoiseGit is fantastic.

If you’re not willing to set up source control, a cheap option is to set up Synctoy which comes free as part of Windows and is fairly easy to set up (look it up).

project -> contains everything (assets, levels, scripts,…)
level = map -> is the world that the player can play (it’s also just a part of a project)

Here are some useful information: https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Basics/DirectoryStructure/index.html https://wiki.unrealengine/Assets_Naming_Convention

How have you installed the texture pack?

Hi friends,

I’m new user of Unreal Engine I need some help pls.
This is an error pls help me i can’t create a file.
it shows this error.
(Failed to create directory “C:\Users\abdul\Documents\Unreal Projects\ddd/Content”.)

Thanks