Loss of performance when packaging

Ok Marco, I’ll try and come back here to report the result.

Ok, If you want to do a quick test you can also use this node: Set Overall Scalability Level | Unreal Engine Documentation

Killed the charade! Marco you were surgical in your diagnosis, congratulations!
I feel like taking a container out of my head, thanks for the dedication and generosity in this case. The curious thing is that by configuring scalability through the blueprint level, I get much better FPS rates.
I would like your opinion about Polimodels car vol 1 (Marketplace), a very well done and useful car system, however it drops at least 35 FPS from the project with only 1 car on the scene. With each car added, the performance drops even more. I contacted the developer but still did not get an answer. Do you think it is possible to correct?

I am not familiar with this package. I see from the description that LOD0 has a high poly count, this could explain the FPS reduction. Materials could be another reason, but it is hard to tell without looking into it. Switch to the shader complexity view and check how they look like. Try anyway to switch to the low poly version or use LOD1 / LOD2. See if your performance increases in this way.

Marco, I tried in every way and I could not change the LOD parameters.
They seem to be fixed, escaped my knowledge. Would you mind if I sent you the package for this review? If possible, what address can I send it to?

Edit the BP for each one of your cars and add this node to Begin Play:

Use 3 to set to LOD2. 0 is Auto, 1 is LOD0, etc.

Or use the global console command: r.ForceLOD 3. See if it makes a difference.

Marco, the “Set forced lod model” knot does not appear for me here, what is available is the “Set forced lod mesh” and the “Set forced lod skeletal mesh”. I do not know if it’s okay to replace it, but
I tried the set forced lod mesh and the car’s mesh did not change when I set it to 3.
If I understood correctly, when I set it to 3, the mesh of the car would assume Lod2 canceling Lod0 and Lod1, that is, only Lod2 would be working, is that it?
See if I’ve introduced the node in the right place, even if it’s not the correct node.

When I suggest the global command “r.ForceLOD 3” I am in doubt as to how this command would work for a specific car in this package, I understand that I should act globally in the correct scene? I made no attempt with this command.

I would have to try it on the package, it’s hard to tell without seeing how the cars are setup. Place many cars in a new empty level a try to apply the global cvar. See if it makes any difference to the performance. Then you know the LOD’s are applied.

Can I send you the package?

It was made as agreed.

so hold on, we always have to add blueprint code if we want to lower settings for packing? it wont carry over from the editor settings, are those settings just for the editor?

In the editor, you can set CVars for each device or device type here: Window -> Developer Tools -> Device Profiles
Those settings will be saved to a file called DefaultDeviceProfiles.ini and will be used in packaging.

I am having this EXACT same problem, it works amazingly well in the Editor but like hot garbage in a build. I don’t think these suggestions work in 4.23. Are there any new commands or items that might help in the newer builds?

4.23 is broken badly. upgrade to 4.24 and these issues go away but new ones like spectator mode now laggs to ■■■■ LOL

You know what changes the performance incredibly, and what I tell people to do when using the game, is just to hit Alt+Enter. When you change the game between full-screen and window (doesn’t seem to matter which one), the performance jumps back to normal. I’ve tried to set it automatically, but like I mentioned, it doesn’t seem to matter if it’s set to Full-Screen or Windowed, it’s the jump between the two that fixes the issue.

I’m on 4.25, and had a problem just like this. Try adding r.SceneRenderTargetResizeMethod 2 in the console on a packaged version.

Another suggestion:
I had this problem, using Oculus Quest with the Oculus software as Rift (play from pc/windows) on my laptop with dual graphics. When I started using oculus link, I had to disable the on board graphics card in order for it to connect. That was until some days ago. After a lot of performance debugging (my game would play normally in PIE but extremely low fps when packaged), I tried enabling both my graphic cards and try to connect my Oculus Link. It connected and my packaged game would play normally as in PIE.