Looking straight up or down then jumping in first person causes sliding around

I have a game where the player can freely transfer between first and third person views. I achieve this by having multiple spring arm components with child actors attached to each of them. The image I have here is part of the BP I use to achieve it. Whenever the first person mode is activated, the function I have below is passed “true”. All other camera modes pass “false”.

However, “use controller rotation pitch” is causing a bit of an issue. Whenever the player looks either straight up or straight down then jumps while in first person, the player will begin to slide around near uncontrollably. To my understanding, this is because the capsule component is also rotating. Disabling “use controller rotation pitch” does prevent the sliding, but it also disables the ability to look up and down.

I’ve spent a good while trying to figure out how to fix this, but I hit a bit of a dead end. A possible idea I have is to make it so that the capsule component doesn’t move whatsoever no matter which direction the player looks. However, I’m not sure how to go about this. Any suggestions?

Haven’t had any luck yet. Any further suggestions?

With the default first person setup the pitch doesn’t change, but you can look up and down nonetheless. Why don’t you use standard Add Controller Yaw/Pitch Input instead of rotating the entire actor?

I’ll give that a try during the day tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

I figured it out. Turns out I had already implemented Add Controller Yaw/Pitch Input before posting this question, but the BP above was cancelling it out. It also turned out that I did not add a camera boom to the first person camera explaining why it wasn’t responding with just Add Controller Yaw/Pitch Input before.

I’ll need to do a lot more testing to verify it works everywhere as this is a pretty complex system I’m working with, but for now, I fixed the issue with the capsule rotating when it was not supposed to.