Looking for help and tips with new PC build for UE4

Hello guys,

I am planning to buy a new desktop PC and I would like to ask for comments or any tips regarding the hardware. Right now, I am running on 5 years old laptop with i5, 1GB ATI graphic and 4 GB of ram. I does NOT really work smooth and for example material editing is really a pain in the *** (I am waiting a lot until a changes apply into the engine). Is it normal or is it my laptop? Also, I am running Win 10 64 bit. So I started to look around to get better performance in the UE4 and here is what I have so far (note that my budget is limited (± 1400 dollars) and that I will buy parts in EUROPE):

CPU: i5-4690k
CPU cooler: ARCTIC Freezer 13
PSU: Corsair CS550M 550W
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz DDR3 CL10 (10-10-10-30)
Videocard: MSI NVIDIA GTX 970 GAMING 4G
Motherboard: MSI Z97-G43
HDD: Seagate Desktop HDD 1TB
SSD: Transcend SSD370S (Premium) 256GB
Case: Fractal Design CORE 2300

= 1417 dollars on actual exchange rate. What do you think about this build? Will it be much better and faster? Should I change someting or keep it as it is? Any comment or tip is welcomed. Thank you very much :slight_smile:

I would bump up the RAM to 16GB

RAM will be added ASAP as my budget is limited and I can buy ram easily in a month or two. Thats why there is just 8 gigs - to save some money for other parts for now. Thank anyway!

Well if you can save a little more and go for an i7 and a DDR4 motherboard.
Skylake is around the corner so if you wait you can get a better CPU in the same price.
The specs you posted are ok for a standard gaming pc but not more.

Take a look in this topic:
UE4 Development Build. Suggestions Wanted! - General Discussion - Unreal Engine Forums!

Don’t get DDR4, there’s no reason to pay a price premium, there’s no large performance benefit. CPU performance hasn’t really gotten that much faster since 2009, and one more generation of iteration isn’t going to change that. There’s been something like a 5-10% improvement each release from Nehalem to Sandy Bridge to Ivy Bridge to Haswell to Broadwell.

I don’t know about the SSD you’ve chosen, but the rest of the items look well thought-out, and will make a good PC. Of course, you can always wait, and get a better PC, that’s always the case, but it looks like you have done your research. 16GB RAM is the least you should get, but I see you will get more later.

Make sure the RAM comes in two 4GB sticks, though. (I.e. don’t buy 4 x 2GB sticks. That will really ruin your upgrade path! :slight_smile: )

Thanks everyone for the tips. I am not gonna wait for new skylake processors as it looks it is not gonna bring anything new. I will wait just a bit to collect enough money to buy this rig and afterwards gonna buy the ram. About the RAM module, I am gonna buy 1x 8GB module so I can later buy 1 or 3 more modules depending on performance. And I forgot to mention that I will be overlocking both CPU and GPU so I am expecting 25 - 30% performance boost.

I would get a PSU of at least 650 watts, but preferably closer to 800W

ZacD DDR4 as a huge performance benefit pulse a whole lot of other improvements you don’t see it now you will see it when skylake comes out.
You look at dry stats without real knowledge about cpu architecture there’s more then just performance boost.

Explooo I dont know what did you read but skylake brings a lot of new things and we don’t know the full cpus specs yet.
And I am sorry to tell you that with this build you can maybe overclock to get a 10% maximum boost and that if you get a really good cpu most cases you will only see a 5% boost.

1. The ram is good but its more of a standard then one for overclocking you wont get near a 25% boost with it.
  2. like Jamendxman3 said you need at least a 650w but preferably closer to 800W.
  3. The motherboard is a standard one you wont get near a 25% boost with it.

You don’t have to wait for skylake to get it but when it comes out you will see a price drop in older cpus and motherboards so you will be able to get the same build in less you said your gonna wait a bit to collect enough money for the build so just wait.