Looking for a Mentor

Hi everyone, I am new to using Ue5 and I have been passionately watching as many videos as I can to learn because I want to be able to create games. I want to ask if there is anyone willing to take me and one other friend of mine under their wing so I can improve and hopefully in the future get paid for my efforts with our final results. I currently want to make a 3D Dinosaur Rogue-like and would love to accomplish that as a first project.

Hi Piero, please explain more about your 3D Dinosaur Rogue-like. Is it a Multiplayer First/Third Person Shooter with Photorealistic Art-style using Procedurally Generated Levels?

I initially came to UnrealEngine with intention to develop a Monsters and Mazes Rogue-like RPG, but found myself prototyping many other game ideas i did NOT know I wanted to develop.

Programming with Blueprints, and 3D Kit-bashing are my skillsets ( examples: 1, 2 ). What are your skillsets?

You can always catch me on Discord

Hi thanks for responding, my idea for the rogue-like is 3D, Third person, and procedurally generated and as for the quality it doesn’t need to be a photo realistic style I enjoy simpler textures and stuff too but the lighting on Ue5 does make the games look really good so I am not really decided on that since for now I’m just learning. My only skills, which are at a pretty beginner level, so far from what I have been practicing with are Animation Sequencing, Model Rigging, and some Landscaping. I’m still learning the functionality of blueprint since there is so much you can do that I am not aware of how and what I can achieve with it yet. I feel that I am a fast learner because in just 3 days I have been able to learn and apply those skills. I also have rigged a skeletal mesh for Free Dinosaur model asset and I am currently working with making my own t-Rex animations rather than the ones it came with.

my idea for the rogue-like is 3D, Third person, and procedurally generated and as for the quality it doesn’t need to be a photo realistic style I enjoy simpler textures and stuff too

With todays 3D scanning tech, its very easy to generate photorealistic content and theres a lot of it for FREE: Quixel Megascans, Metahumans, Cities, PCG.

I have been practicing with are Animation Sequencing, Model Rigging, and some Landscaping.

Excellent. I wish I had focused more on Content Creation in my earlier game dev days. My plan has been to use my programming skills to develop procedural generation subsystems to generate content. So i looking for ways to incorporate generative AI.

When I think Dinosaurs, I think TUROK 64

Perhaps I’ve been subconsciously preparing to develop TUROK reimagined. LOL.

There are tons of games using dinosaurs nowadays. Dinos have become sort of commonplace like Zombies. Because of this, I would definitely do something unique with them, perhaps Zombie Dinosaurs (ZOMBINOS), Dino Cyborgs, Were Dinos, Deformed Dino Mutants, other.

I commend you for learning Animation Sequencing, Model Rigging, and some Landscaping. I’m way too lazy to do that and would rather acquire pre-made assets created by artist more skilled in myself in those areas.

You read my mind, I was thinking of mutant Dinosaurs because I wanted mutations to be a thing you can pick up in the game to change your Dino or give it an extra function. For example, you pick up a Dragon mutation and your T-rex now has wings so you can maybe have extra hops or a glide function included with a new ability to breath fire like a dragon or to shoot fire balls. Another idea I had was to add a mutation that increases fire based damage and turns your skin texture a different color like a volcanic black and some red like lava. Maybe even a mutation that makes your character bigger and slower but whenever your take a step enemies around you take damage from a tremor you cause because of your size which can also increase in damage based on your walk speed so you can trigger it more the faster your legs can hit the ground.

I kind of like to take inspiration from games like Risk of rain 2 and maybe even Crab Champions since they are both more simple on the textures side of things but their gameplay is addictive because of the many variations of builds for each run. I would like to add pick ups at the end of the levels that can give your modifiers like more attack speed or a bigger biting range so you can clear waves of enemies. Also something that could give you cool attacks or new abilities like a tail spin or a charging attack or a blink attack. It is less realistic to what an actual Dino would be capable of but its the point of the fun

Maybe even a mutation that makes your character bigger and slower but whenever your take a step enemies around you take damage from a tremor you cause because of your size

I really like this ability because it reminds me of what I’m doing in my Kaiju Survival Terror XPS. I’m a Huge Fan of Super Powers and Giant Monsters and games that have them :). So many of my game designs include them both.

But, Risk of Rain and Crab Champions both look like my kind of Fast Paced Action Game.

simple on the textures side of things...

I’ve used toon shading as an option to unify various art styles { Photorealistic, Stylized, Low Poly, Voxel } together in my Monster Maze Game.

Action games are my Favorite (but I also enjoy slow-paced Horror Games). In fact, I’m scaling down my game designs, aiming for smaller action packed Arcade gameplay.

Based on your statements above, I can see the need core subsystems:

1. Game Ability Subsystem
  2. Flight Subsystem
  3. Projectile Weapon Subsystem
  4. Monster AI Subsystem
  5. Spawn Management Subsystem
  6. VFX Management Subsystem
  7. Audio Management Subsystem
These Core subsystems will require significant work to dev from scratch...

I know how exciting things can be in the beginning, but a hard lesson I learned is trying to do it all from scratch. I use pre-created asset packs and modify them to meet my needs. This approach has Turbo Boosted my development time.

I have also learned 10x faster reverse engineering existing Assets because theres a Working / Good Reference to analyze and test with. I would rather spend my time programming innovative features and subsystems, not reinvent commonplace features.