Hi. Very, very new to Unreal. Trying a system where the player character looks up and down in the direction of the camera while aiming. Made a rudimentary system following this guide (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ORDss2mNA). It works perfectly with Quinn. But when I use a mesh with retargeted animations, the Look At aiming seems to be about 90° off. The string text is showing the coordinates of that white sphere which is where the character is supposed to look. They’re all within the same character blueprint.
That’s how it looks with Quinn which is correct (though clamp is on here). I stripped down the animation blueprint logic on the new mesh because of a separate control rig error (at least, I think it’s separate) and to isolate single bones to see what was happening. This is what it looks like on the new mesh. It’s set up almost exactly the same on Quinn. I tried playing with Look Up Axis settings and even subtracting or multiplying vector values but it either does nothing or affects the twisting in the wrong way.
Look at alpha just triggers to 1 from the character blueprint when I want the leaning to start (when the aim buttons are pressed). And look at location updates every tick based on that white sphere’s location. I tried set world location and relative location but neither fixed the issue. Also, maybe unrelated, but I’ve looked at the retargeted animations and they look great, nothing is rotated incorrectly. Don’t know if that narrows down the issue.
Also open to a better “look at” system in general since this way wasn’t working - neither on Quinn nor the custom Mesh - when I wanted the character to lean in the direction of an interactive object. They would lean but in some direction I couldn’t figure out the math behind. So if there’s another system that solves the “lean with camera” problem and the “lean toward object” problem and jibes with my confused brain, I’d be willing to try something else entirely.
Thanks for any help!






