Long App Starting time

Hello! I’m having a problem with my packaged game. When I try to open it on my phone. It takes roughly 2 minutes for the game to go from unreal engine logo screen to the actual game.
Does anyone have any idea how to fix that?
Here’s the video so you can see exacly what I mean: Long Loading Time - YouTube

Hi XifeXy,

this probably means you have a significant amount of data being loaded; that’s the time it takes to transfer that data from disk to memory.

The first thing to look at is reducing textures sizes, and possibly simplifying actors that are taking up much space. You can check how much a map is taking on both disk and memory by right clicking on it in the content browser and then selecting “Size Map…”

For the textures, you can constrain their max size from a “DefaultDeviceProfiles.ini” file you’ll add to your project Config folder. It’s the MaxLODSize variable, here’s an example where textures max size is constrained to 1024bytes (you can probably go lower than that as you’re on a tiny screen): DefaultDeviceProfiles.ini (4.2 KB)

Beyond that, you can improve the player experience by loading first a map that’s just your loading bar/screen, and nothing else – so that as you load your bulky level, you at least got a loading bar / throttle / something that’s moving on screen.

Beyond that, you’d have to tinker with the Asset Manager and the way files are loaded and divided into chunks. Unfortunately the documentation on that regard is extremely scant, although you’ll find an example of that being used in the “Action RPG” legacy sample (find it in the Epic Games launcher).

Hope that helps

Cheers,
f

Thanks for an answer Fraps, i also found a way to get the output log from the device so there are output logs from the launch

Log1.txt (134.0 KB)
log2.txt (133.0 KB)

It seems to be stuck at D/UE4 : [2022.09.26-20.58.55:290][ 0]LogAIModule: Creating AISystem for world NewMap - it is line 1211 and 1213 in logs

However since this is 2d game and the map is completely empty that doesn’t make a lot of sense to me.