Localization works except for one field

I’ve not been able to repro this so far, so I was hoping I could get some more details about how those actors are set-up.

I made a BP deriving from Actor and added a text property (in the BP), set a default value, dropped an instance of the BP and changed the text value. In all cases my text property had a valid key.

How is your actor set-up?

Thanks, being able to debug the problem locally would certainly help. You should be able to private message me a link via the forums.

Hello Jamie,

thanks for your reply. That’s the architecture of the level:

All derived actors are receiving correct translation except the CastleDefender. Interaction Actor is a Static Mesh Actor.

Also, I packed the project files (Folders: Config + Content, uproject and, well, a log.txt from a different problem, so you might ignore that) and I could upload it somewhere if that may help you in any way. Let me know if you want me to upload it.

Alright, I’ll upload it tonight and send you a link. Thank you in advance :slight_smile:

Hello Jamie, you should have received a message. Thanks for your help!

So I’ve found out why that text doesn’t have and cannot be given a key.

Your version of UE4 doesn’t let you enter new-lines in default BP values (this has since been fixed, and there’s a setting under the advanced section to allow it), so you’ve worked around this by using {nl} format markers, and take your basic description text and format it in the construction script, overwriting the original text. Formatted text cannot be gathered, but the pattern used in the format will (which seems to be what you’re seeing).

That said, it should still be formatting based on the translation of your format pattern, but I wonder if something during cook is baking out the version from the construction script and breaking the localisation.

You may be better doing this transformation in the UI rather than on the property itself, either that or try formatting it into a different property to avoid clobbering your source data.

Thank you,

ya, I already suspected that {nl} for a moment to be causing the trouble but since it worked for all the others, I thought that those would have been affected as well.

So moving that formatting to the UI element might fix that issue? And which engine version would be required at least to be able to enter multi-line text into BP values? I considered moving to the current engine version (4.17.) but when I ran the word gather I received a “A null object was passed as a world context object…” error (that’s the included log-file), so I downgraded back to 4.15.

alright, then I’ll try upgrading first and I’ll get back to you. Thank you in the meantime :slight_smile:

It looks like the setting was added in 4.16, and that the error you’re seeing was added in 4.17 (the code would silently ignore the issue before).

Hi there,

I just upgraded to 4.16. and I removed the formatting code and just used the multi-line feature. However, how do you enter multi-lines in the localization dashboard?

Also, somehow the word count in the English culture dropped from 362 (native German) to 304 (English). I packaged everything and the resulting package crashes immediately (no compile errors or packaging errors reported). Don’t know if this is connected somehow.

Thanks for your help again.

However, how do you enter multi-lines in the localization dashboard?

The in-editor translation editor? That thing pre-dates multi-line editable text, so you probably can’t. If you export to PO you’ll be able to enter “\n” in the string and then re-import them though.

I packaged everything and the resulting package crashes immediately

Do you have a callstack or log?

let me check…

That’s the output of the crash reporter link

It looks like it crashed while loading the PAK file:

Assertion failed: Size > 0 && Size <= (GPakCache_MaxRequestSizeToLowerLevelKB * 1024)

I’m not sure why that would be. Maybe try clearing out your Saved/Cooked directory, and the directory that you’re packaging too to make sure there’s no 4.15 data left lingering.

The log also reports “No localization for ‘de-DE’ exists, so ‘en’ will be used for the language” which suggests that your “de” loc data hasn’t been packaged (or your internationalisation support is set to English only).

Don’t use the single culture export/import, they’re known to be broken. Just export/import all cultures for your target.

Hey, tried the re-importing approach and I end up receiving this error when I try to import something
Logfile

it’s probably just a flag, do you know where I can change it?

Regarding the other problem: couldn’t compile it yet as it may require several hours and I also cleared the translation I used before, so I might re-translate the game. I’ll get back to you once I could build it again.

alright, then how do I transfer the gathered text to English? I ran gather text and now I only got content for German. The English part shows as word count simply 0. I used the export text function in the cultures section (above the single cultures) and once I tried to import them I just had content for German.

Hang on, think I just found it out…

Hey,

translation seems to work now (tested with the “launch”-function)

However, I still experience the immediate crash once the game is packaged, it’s probably the same thing. didn’t change any package settings since switching to 4.16. Also deleted the content in the mentioned folder.

link text

I’m glad the translation issue is fixed :slight_smile:

I tried packaging your project myself, but I’m not seeing the crash you are. It might be worth starting another AnswerHub post for that one so that it can be passed over to the relevant person.

Hello Jamie,

ya, you can’t probably see the problem, because the version you got is still engine version 4.15. I guess.

I’ll try packaging all languages (so far I was just packaging EN as that was all that is required) and if that fails, I’ll post a new question.

Thank you for your help :slight_smile: