NOTE: I’m building my version of the engine from source, and compiling it into a binary build.
I’m trying to setup my game for easy localisation later, but am running into issues with string tables. I’ve created a string table in Game/Localisation/en - and now I’m trying to use that string table in my project. There’s little to no documentation on how to do this, so I’m winging it based on the existing items in the localisation dashboard for the engine. This is my current setup:
Now when I click on “Gather Text For All Cultures of this Target” (bottom left icon), the ‘Gather’ dialog box pops up. It then tells me that every single one of my plugins is incompatible with the current engine version, and fails.
My game has a LOT of text, so I’d really like to make the switch to localization tables sooner rather than later! How do I get these working?
Note, this is how I’m (currently) trying to use the tables in code. Again, no idea if it’s right or not.
Okay it appears that in order for this to work, you have to build your project and launch in ‘Development Editor’ NOT ‘DebugGame Editor’
Now there’s the matter of actually using the table itself…
The dashboard (currently) launches another editor to do the work, although I think it uses the standard mechanism to do that (the same as cooking, packaging, etc) although I never use DebugGame so perhaps it’s failing to pass the
-debug flag to the new editor process.
Regarding String Tables, I wrote this up a while back and am still waiting for it to be converted into proper documentation. Google Drive: Sign-in
I did see that doc actually which is what led me to string tables initially - but I couldn’t figure out how to actually access the text / a string table asset in C++ to get the text within it and use it properly etc.
FText::FromStringTable will get you access to the text from a string table in C++. If you want to access the text from an asset, then you’d use the full asset path (eg, /Game/Folder/MyStringTable.MyStringTable) as the table ID.