Loading screen at the start of the game to avoid stutters

Is there any way to make a loading screen at the start of the game in which all the shaders are compiled to avoid stutters? Or it’s already done in Unreal Engine 4?

The build process isn’t very clear in 5. Even though it has a ‘shipping’ option on the visible menu

it is apparently not a shipping build.

To get this, you still have to use the Launcher on the tools menu

Here’s how it works

I’d be interested if there’s a different way of doing this… :slight_smile:

Well, sorry if I assume this wrong, if you are asking about references here is the deal:
When you start a map, it loads everything referenced to it and also all references of those referenced ones. This is a normal process unless you don’t call your assets as soft references, otherwise everything called as hard references. When you have soft references loading, there are functions to check if they are still loading or not. So you can make a loading screen widget and remove it when the loading is done.

If you are actually asking about the shaders only, all shaders are compiled while packaging.

I think the OP is talking about shader compiles.

When you have hard references; assets that cannot be loaded in few frames will be loading in some blackscreen or in a frozen frame until every hard reference loaded in to ram. Compiling shader in packaged game actually means loading all soft references in the beginning while player see a loading screen, to my knowledge. Game loads everything and right after discards the assets that will not be used in the map (or part of the map), then keep everything that will be used. This information might be wrong or not. If someone has deep knowledge about this, I’d be happy to know.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.