Loading a mesh composed by hundreds of submeshes

I have a FBX mesh that is composed by hundreds of submeshes with hierarchy. If I drag and drop it in Unreal it loads fine, but as a single static mesh. What I would like is to be able to see the submeshes in order to manipulate them at runtime (like moving them and so on).

As far as I know, I could load the mesh and decompose it, so that all the submeshes would actually be meshes on their own; this is not an option in my case, since I would have literally hundreds of meshes to place manually to form the mesh.

Another option would be to actually load the FBX with a library like Assimp and recreate it using the ProceduralMeshComponent, but this isn’t easy neither (mostly because of the materials that the FBX has).

Are there other options that I’m not aware of?

UE4 doesn’t work in hierarchies like Unity does, so when you import something it can only be imported to separate objects. You could rebuild something into a blueprint or organize them into folders but it’s not quite as simple.

That what I was afraid of. I’ll have to use Assimp then, thanks for replying :slight_smile:

You can import it as a skeletal mesh and manipulate bones - as skeletal mesh doesn’t have to be a character only, it can be pretty much anything.
Another option is Pivot Painter Pivot Painter Tool in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation its specific to max but you could port logic of the script to other applications. The most important part is that you meshes get proper information stored in vertices.