Load asset from .pak without packaged build?

Hey, there.
I’m working on modsupport. I successfully create a .pak and load the assets in a packaged build at runtime. For testing purpose it would be nice to load the assets during PlayInEditor or DebugGame/Development/Shipping Build (not packaged). However I’ve not been able to achieve that.

There could be multiple reasons. The issues I can think of are different pathes or assetnames and that the content in a .pak is cooked.

As of patchnotes UE4.10:
New: Cooked packages can now be loaded in the editor if cooked for the same non-editor version of the platform the editor runs on.

A related Thread:
https://www.epicgames.com/unrealtournament/forums/unreal-tournament-development/ut-development-level-design/17586-how-to-load-map-pak-into-unreal-4-editor

Does anyone know how that is supposed to work?

Hey, as this thread is already kinda old: Did you have any success in this?

From my personal logical aspect, when attempting to load cooked assets into the unreal editor, it needs to go into another flow of loading the asset. Instead of loading the asset with all the editor related data right away, it needs to only load the cooked data and use some kind of default data (or data fitting the cooked data) for the stripped data. That’s why i think its definitely technical possible to get cooked assets with most data back to the editor.

Every of my attempts to load cooked assets (with modifying the engines code to bypass various checks) have led into a crash in the very end. My next step would be to find out how shipping builds are gonna loading cooked assets (as this works) and try to find a way to trick the editor to load the asset the shipping way.

But now as i have found that in theory they have something in place due to this Patch note of UE4.10, i’m pretty certain there is an extra, undocumented workflow for this. Or it was working back in UE4.10 but has gone broken in a later version as there are not so much people making enough use of this.

I guess it would be the easiest if one of the unreal developers is so kind to give us a small hint how it is supposed to work. ^^°