Linux Launcher for Unreal Engine

Hi there,

I want to start off by saying that I know this has been asked before, but I think something needs to be done at this point.

Linux is a very popular platform for developers to use, and basically every other game engine I’ve used has very good Linux support (see Godot, Unity etc. Even GameMaker has beta Linux support now). And whilst Unreal does technically have support for Linux, it requires you to compile the source code yourself. In itself, this is not a problem. Linux users should definitely be able to run an install script.

The problem arises when you want to use any of the peripheral tools that Unreal Engine provides.

On Linux, you cannot use Quixel Bridge, any Marketplace content or even some of the editor features properly. I find this disappointing, but I also think it shouldn’t be that hard to fix. If Epic were to port the Epic Games Launcher to Linux, even if it were only to support UE, then it would improve the quality of life immensely. We would be able to use Marketplace content, and then it would only be a matter of changing a small bit of code in Quixel Bridge and compiling to a different target to get it working on Linux.

I don’t see any reason why a company like Epic Games can’t do this. And until something like this happens, I will have to develop in Godot or another alternative to UE.

2 Likes

Seconded. I’d love to use UE, but it’s simply an unworkable mess on Linux.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s a real shame that Epic haven’t put much effort into supporting Linux as a development platform. Here’s to hoping that they’ll come round soon.

1 Like